Is there any place you wouldn't travel for great food???

Which is what I love about the Bay Area- there is enough population from South Asia that restaurants will proudly advertise their regional specialties, to the point that it becomes totally confusing for someone who loves food from that region but is pretty much a novice.

I try to go if there is more than just one reason to go, so even if the food doesn’t impress there is still the culture, scenery, etc. There are also many places that are worth traveling to, even if the food isn’t great.

That’s a great point. I am sure some of my most memorable travel meals range from below-average to above-average if its not because of the time and place- eating DIY sandwich staring at the Grand Canyon on a trail. Tacos at a Mexican roadside stand with a bunch of locals, etc.

I look forward to reading your perspective on this.

I’ve only experienced Punjabi home cooking. And then only once, via one of those “sort of legal” supper clubs in someone’s home. It was lovely. Not at all like the stuff in the “Indian” restaurants.

My husband and I are lucky that we seem to have stomach of steel :slight_smile: The only time we had just a small issue was in Kenya and Tanzania. We had very low grade diarrhea. Nothing that interfered with our travel.

I’m Punjabi. I can assure you that the North Indian food in the restaurants is not how we eat on a normal basis. :wink: We look forward to weddings and parties because we get to eat all those restaurant style foods too!

2 Likes

I wandered into a Pakistani products store in Dublin, and shortly thereafter was invited to one of the owner’s homes for some channa, raita and chapati. I would’ve been satisfied it we had just chatted, but the dinner added that extra touch.

3 Likes

Now THAT’S a great travel story!!!

1 Like

If unusual travel stories are what you’re after, here’s another, more bizarre entry c/o Fukuoka, Japan.

Yeah, that is a bizarre story. You’re lucky you didn’t get rolled.

2 Likes

I keep seeing that Iceland is becoming a popular destination and I found what sounds like a super deal. Thanks to you we’re thinking about going there.

I hope you have an amazing time, if you end up going. It’s such a beautiful country. Plus, geothermal activity. I love geothermal activity.

1 Like