Is there any place you wouldn't travel for great food???

Interesting. When I’m in NYC I travel to Flushing for no other reason than the food. Same with other urban areas. And I’m talking one to two hours one way for no other reason than food. And while Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles have loads of wonderful things to see and do, the food is reason enough. For instance, I want to go to Koreatown in LA for the food.

WOW! Looks fantastic. Thanks.

You’re welcome! It’s a spectacular country. I intend to go back (and I very rarely retrace my vacation steps).

Yes, Levantine cuisine is one general family, with local and regional variations, but they don’t necessarily correspond to the borders. Some dishes are also specific to certain communities, but usually enjoyed by all. We have some excellent Syrian restaurants here in Montréal.

There’s a great Syrian restaurant in Berlin near our pad - love it.

By co-incidence, I’ve just started reading “A line in the sand” (subtitled - Britain France and the struggle that shaped the Middle East). It is a classic case of the conquerers dividing up land and setting what I always think of as “white man’s borders”. My country, because of its imperial past, has expertise and history in getting these things wrong, causing problems for years hence (I can think of several which are ongoing problems - Middle East being one)

Thanks for this. Cool report. I will be eating a lot more: (smoked) puffin, minke whale sashimi (had minke whale several times in Spitsbergen but not sashimi so this time it will be), horse sashimi, Hangikjöt/smoked lamb/mutton, and of course hákarl. I have booked a flat with a fully equipped kitchen for 5 days and will be cooking Icelandic lamb every single day. This is my only chance to eat Icelandic lamb! Had it in Sapporo, Japan but it was only 100gr so it did not count.

Between the two of you I think I’ve now added Iceland to my bucket list.

1 Like

I don’t eat mammals or birds, so no whale or lamb or puffin for me. But I hope you enjoy them. Icelanders are very proud of their hot dogs - add that to your list.

I don’t mind the heat and love India and SE Asia! Next on the list: Peru, China and Nicaragua.

Ah yes, Peru. Must eat the cuy aka guinea pig. Yum.

My nephew has been all over the world . He told me he really liked Colombia , people were very nice and also stayed in Medellin and said it was very clean . Said Peru was pretty sketchy . This was four months ago . He speaks Spanish pretty well . He’s a very adventurous eater and enjoyed the cuy .

pikawicca and I kept threatening to go to Cali and visit Sam F but never made it. Otherwise it doesn’t hold much appeal for me but I have nothing to support that. We spent three night in Cuzco (Peru) and thoroughly enjoyed the food. I describe my Spanish (and Portuguese) as “poor but you won’t starve or go thirsty” :slight_smile:

I agree- the food in Costa Rica wasn’t particularly memorable. Not horrible but a bit of a let down.

1 Like

I haven’t been everywhere so I cannot speak to the places I have not been. I would avoid Afghanistan. I was never impressed with food in Norway, although most of neighboring Sweden was quite good. Never ate anything in West Virginia worth going back for. Unfortunately my current home city of Annapolis MD is a culinary wasteland. It’s quite odd since nearby Baltimore MD, Washington DC, and Fairfax and Arlington VA are wonderful destinations for food.

Seattle has had an Afghan restaurant since before The Unpleasantness. Based on this one place, I really like the cuisine.

1 Like

I’ve only eaten Afghan food once. Don’t know how much it might have been Anglicised, although we were the only Anglos in there that night, so possibly not too much. Thought the food was OK but that’s all.

Link to my 2012 review on Chowhound - http://www.chowhound.com/post/rusholme-manchester-afghan-cuisine-881776

With money and safety no concern, the only places I wouldnt go are the human rights offenders.

But you can keep Miami and Vegas. I can manage Miami for 72 hours if visiting friends, but despise Vegas so deeply that I won’t set foot ther unless I’m being paid to be at a trade show.

2 Likes

This has been niggling around in my big beautiful brain for a while and I want to formally shout out “amen, sister!” I haven’t been there in about 15 years and it would take something really unusual to get me there. Yes, they have amazing food…but don’t most of those places have a ‘home base’ where it all got started? Robuchon, Batali, Jose’ Andres, etc.??? I can’t bear Vegas. Thanks for reminding me, sunshine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure I completely understand all the political talk when it comes to food. You aren’t supporting a country and many people within those systems have no choice or ability to vote. You’re doing them and yourself a disservice by avoiding a country because of the views of the leaders and not the people who truly make the culture and food. Only reason I wouldn’t travel for great food is safety now that I have a family, but if I was still my younger self then nothing would have stopped me from amazing food.

2 Likes