Is there any place you wouldn't travel for great food???

I’ve only eaten Afghan food once. Don’t know how much it might have been Anglicised, although we were the only Anglos in there that night, so possibly not too much. Thought the food was OK but that’s all.

Link to my 2012 review on Chowhound - http://www.chowhound.com/post/rusholme-manchester-afghan-cuisine-881776

With money and safety no concern, the only places I wouldnt go are the human rights offenders.

But you can keep Miami and Vegas. I can manage Miami for 72 hours if visiting friends, but despise Vegas so deeply that I won’t set foot ther unless I’m being paid to be at a trade show.

2 Likes

This has been niggling around in my big beautiful brain for a while and I want to formally shout out “amen, sister!” I haven’t been there in about 15 years and it would take something really unusual to get me there. Yes, they have amazing food…but don’t most of those places have a ‘home base’ where it all got started? Robuchon, Batali, Jose’ Andres, etc.??? I can’t bear Vegas. Thanks for reminding me, sunshine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not sure I completely understand all the political talk when it comes to food. You aren’t supporting a country and many people within those systems have no choice or ability to vote. You’re doing them and yourself a disservice by avoiding a country because of the views of the leaders and not the people who truly make the culture and food. Only reason I wouldn’t travel for great food is safety now that I have a family, but if I was still my younger self then nothing would have stopped me from amazing food.

2 Likes

Good distinction to make. I will admit that we’re glad we went to Israel two years ago, about six months before things got really messy.

It’s part of the political side of me - it’s as much who I am as anything else I may have views on… There are countries I have no wish to visit, even If I felt personally safe there. My politics also comes into other purchasing decisions - there’s imports (including food) from one country that I have never knowingly bought in my adult life. I have no wish to put my hard earned income into that country’s economy, unless it fundamentally changes.

I agree with that to a point – but there are places (North Korea keeps crossing my mind) that even if we assume away the fact that Americans are prohibited from going there – that are really horrible places from a political standpoint. In these places, I pretty much accept up-front that my money (no matter how much we have in our fantasy) is never going to get to the people who are working to provide my food and lodging (I could hand it to them directly, but would I be putting them in danger once my Yankee ass leaves town?)

Which one please?

May I ask why it’s of interest?

Because we’ve all been speaking up about specific places. Why would you not want to speak up?

Thanks.

Israel.

1 Like

Understandable. We were there and it was an amazing trip…but I really remember little about the food :slight_smile:

Hi, Sunshine:

I know one of the recent American detainees. While I generally agree with your position about not supporting brutal regimes, I think DPRK is a special case worthy of some exemption.

That is, the Kim regime and its personality cult want the country kept isolated from outside influences. I admire people who try to crack that facade, even if the only people they’re exposed to is the cadre of handlers. The only other place I can think of that might fall into the same category is Myanmar.

Aloha,
Kaleo

I would go almost anywhere however:

• India scares me because of the crowds, I struggle with crowds.
  • I’ve chosen not to visit countries in the past due to political reasons and I would still do this. An example of this was Myanmar. There was a time when the military reaped all the cash benefits from tourism, not the people so we chose not to visit.
  • I’ve got little interest in parts of America but if someone gave me a free ticket I would go.

Also, another thought is even if the food is not ‘great’ discovering food traditions and customs gives a wonderful insight into culture and food can be a fabulous ice breaker. Some of my best travel experiences have happened when a local offers me some of their food and the conversation (sometimes in gestures) and adventure that follows. I think because we travel independently and have been seen by locals as a curiosity we’ve been fortunate in that regard.

If I was footloose and fancy free my next travel destination would be the 'stans, not for the food (except Pakistan) but I’m sure the interactions around food would make the trip memorable.

I live in New Zealand.

1 Like

Not sure I understand it either – but mainly because it appears that some people think the US gov’t doesn’t engage in gross violations of human rights or doesn’t support torturing regimes. And local police even do it America. As for personal safety, I would say there is 40 percent of most of urban America where I would not go – for food or anything – and large chunks of rural America. I will not go to restaurants that have “open carry” policies for customers and staff.

That (ahem) aside, there are some places I prefer not to go because they are just too depressing because of poverty (this includes parts of Italy, where I live) and others I wouldn’t go because they are too expensive.

For me, the enjoyment of food is very much a social experience as well as a matter of flavors. If the social experience is off, I lose my appetite.

2 Likes

I’m with you on Vegas too! I hated it there and couldn’t wait to leave.

We did a cruise a few years back which stopped in Israel for the day. We chose not to get off the ship. But what thoroughly pissed me off was that, even though I was not entering their country, the border control people came on the ship requiring everyone to present passports. I regarded it as confirmation of what I had thought for many years.

Israelis take security very, VERY seriously.

2 Likes

All- please note this following rule in the FAQ regarding the political discussions. While personally I am all for political discussions, sorry but please not on this forum, for the reason that I don’t have the resource to referee the very likely rancorous outcome that the typical left vs right, rival country A’s political system vs rival country B’s political system discussions will lead to given people’s very strong and different political beliefs, as seen by the flags I have received already.

Excluded discussions– Please no discussions on the following topics: Policies, politics, racism, disability, religion, sexual orientation, discrimination.

ETA: At this stage and age of the forum, I’d rather invest the limited time into growing the forum vs cleaning up political fires… thanks for your understanding.

2 Likes

Point taken HO - although my original point was specifically about food and I concur with your view - I’ve no wish to enter into detailed political argument here about my politics.

So, keeping this to a food theme, the product that I believe Americans call Israeli couscous is know in the UK as “giant couscous”. Marketing something as Israeli just wouldnt be a good strategy here.

My country has also been a leading light in successfully persuading the European Union to ban misleading Israeli “country of origin” food labelling - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/11/eu-sets-guidelines-on-labelling-products-from-israeli-settlements .

1 Like