Is it ever ok to ask your host for salt and pepper?

Exactly. Why would you want one?
Use is easy, knife is used to put food on the fork.
But it is so much easier to use the fork to put food on the spoon, esp with curries, sauce etc.
Yes, I use both knife and fork.
Yes, I did grow up in Europe
Although, when I’m by myself I may use only a spoon. But the fork makes getting the last bits on my spoon easier

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if I just set my table with sporks.

Its certainly common in italy.

I’m a little worried about asking where the bathroom is .
Just in case . I never like using other peoples bathrooms . I’m sure yours are spot less. It’s just me . Salt and pepper never a issue.

As long as I get 2, I can handle it :slight_smile:
I would be a bit surprised seeing a table laid out like that though.
Needless to say, I don’t own a spork. Even on lightweight holidays I’ll pack a spoon and fork

1 Like

I have no problem with a guest asking for salt and pepper, provided they don’t empty the pepper mill on food where I have carefully balanced the flavors. One thing I will not provide is Tabasco or any hot sauce (I have a friend who asks for it). Answering that request is easy: I don’t have any because I can’t digest it.

2 Likes

Absolutely ok! If someone is willing to eat my food, I want it to be as delicious as possible for them. I know I’m not the best cook and I tend to have unusual food preferences, so I wouldn’t necessarily expect a guest to like anything I made. And since I’m so picky myself, I’m more than willing to cater to pickiness in others.

I salt the heck out of my food, to the extent that people I’m eating with for the first time will stop and stare. Without enough salt, food just tastes like mush to me. I actually keep a salt shaker in my car in case of “emergencies.”

One of my pet peeves is when a restaurant makes you ask for a salt shaker, and then they bring you one that lets out maybe three grains of salt at every shake. When that happens I just unscrew the cap. I am a barbarian.

2 Likes

This should not even be a question to ask here because it is obvious. Let us use this example: I don’t always use pepper and obviously will not cook my food with it then maybe my guest loves it. He or she will have to ask if I fail to get to the table so that they can also enjoy the meal. The case can be vice versa.

I did not set out to do so, but I stopped using salt 15 or 20 years ago. I hear people swear a dish needs more salt, but I seldom meet a dish that actually does. I use salt when I cook pasta and that is about it. I do however, use a little bit of a constantly changing homemade mix of Italian spices and I find it adds enough so that I do not miss salt at all.
Freshly ground pepper goes on just about everything, though.

5 Likes

I hope you provide a salt shaker/grinder on your table for your guests :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There was a pepper grinder…
I hate to admit it but i never thought of providing a salt shaker/grinder. I had a cylinder of Maldon sea salt i used for pasta and a salt grinder a friend gave me (probably a hint that i completely failed to recognize) but i never put salt on the table.
I sold my home some time ago and have been traveling for a while. When i get a new home i will put some sort of salt on the table.

8 Likes

I’d say that probability is high :wink:

5 Likes

Well, if you don’t in your future home… be prepared for your future guests to ask :wink: I cannot fathom eating unsalted food, regardless of how many herbs or how much pepper you use.

5 Likes

I dunno. Maybe I could get used to doing without and not miss it, but I doubt it.

And for sausages and cured meats - don’t think there’s a way to get the texture right for fresh sausages, and of course curing meat for long-term preservation can’t readily be done without salt. I’ve heard of submerging meat in honey, but not sure how long (or well) that actually works. And no-salt bread doughs tend to be really weak stuff (physically weak, I mean).

Curious why you do use salt for the pasta water? If someone told me I had to stop salting one thing on pain of death, my pasta water would be #1 option, as it seems to cook well enough without it, and whatever sauce I’m using would tend to, at least generally, cover the sin of unsalted cook water.

I did not set out to stop using salt. When i bought my first home in 2007 i slowly stocked my kitchen but simply never got around to buying salt. I got peppercorns and a grinder, then started buying spices from Spice House. When a dish was “missing something” i added a dash from my mixed spice shaker.
My girlfriend was Italian, so she informed me I HAD to salt the pasta water. So i got a big cylinder of salt then she gave me a small box of sea salt later.
I eat salted dishes, i love Thai Sai Hoa and will eat huge quantities of my friends bacaloa, for instance. I just do not salt food i make. Which may be why my brother and SiL do not like my oyster stew… Or not.
The only problem i have with salt is that some chefs use too much of it for my taste now.

2 Likes