Increasing Costs of Dining Out

Ok, you do you.

As I said up above, I’m not taking a normative position on this issue, as I think it’s beyond the scope of this message board.

I don’t necessary support keeping people in poverty or support getting people out of poverty. I take no such positions, either way.

I’m just pointing out that merely raising minimum wages for the fast food sector will have unintended consequences for the rest of the dining (and diner) industry. If you can’t believe, or won’t accept, that, that’s ok.

Not here to convince anyone of anything.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? Because it sounds like you’re trying to convince people that raising the minimum wage is bad for everyone. Unless I missed the part where you sympathize with low-wage workers.

3 Likes

Related: cool tool. Gets at some of the nuance:

2 Likes

Americans don’t want to accept that for years we have had cheap food and cheap dining out because of a combination of government subsidies and low wages. Food in most European countries is more expensive, both in grocery stores and in restaurants (or certainly was when we were there). We have gotten used to this just as we have gotten used to cheap Chinese goods because their labor costs are low. It’s a shock to discover that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

3 Likes

While I agree with your initial sentence, I started a whole discussion about how I thought dining out in Germany was cheaper than it is stateside. It went relatively well :wink:

The 20%+ gratuity expected here seems to be the main reason for the difference.

2 Likes

No, it most definitely is not.

1 Like

It depends :rofl:

1 Like

Definitely not - restaurants and buying groceries is so much cheaper in Europe. Even in a relatively expensive country like Germany, every time I visit family there it is astonishing how expensive everything is in the US

3 Likes

Of course there are exceptions such as Sweden, Norway and Switzerland.

My relatives in Zurich can’t afford to go on vacation in their own country.

I think the dollar goes a lot further in Austria (well Tyrol at least - I haven’t been to Salzburg or Vienna in 25 years), Greece, Germany, France, Portugal and Spain than it goes in Toronto, in my experience. I really miss visiting. Portugal and Czech Republic are especially cheap relative to Canada.

1 Like

I probably should have said that my experience was from at least twenty years ago. :frowning: My bad.

1 Like

some large caution is required when comparing the costs of things via an “exchange rate”
the DEM went from 4:1 USD to >2:1, then converted to Euro 1:1 and the Euro was 1.2:1 USD at that time.

the best “comparison” is when one is earning the local currency . . . when I took an overseas assignment to Germany, I took a ‘pay cut’ per the exchange rate - but my DEM salary was generous and we had no issues making ends meet and funding extensive travel / experiences…

2 Likes

Yeah that whole side tangent re: exchange rate was kinda besides the point, unless one is merely a tourist spending only a brief time abroad.

2 Likes

perhaps to put a bow on it, the Big Mac Index compiled by the Economist can be a useful data set when considering macro-economic conditions across various geographies.

the latest data shows a big mac is essentially the same price in the ‘average Euro’ zone country, the UK, and Canada.

in Switzerland it’s 44% more expensive, and in Argentina it’s 33% cheaper.

3 Likes

Slightly different tangent, but relating to the cost of burgers.

We’ve been tracking the price of burgers around Toronto lately. Toronto Burger and Fries Price Metric Thread, June 2023 and onwards

I have the type of brain that constantly price-checks.

I’m also following the price of a single good slice of pizza, butter chicken, whole pizzas , cappuccino and cortados.

3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

How about a surcharge for “security”?

https://lamag.com/dining/perch-bar-dtla-restaurant-adds-security-fee

“Nice meal you’ve got there. Shame if something happened to it.”

6 Likes

Take the cannoli.

1 Like