"Immigrant food"

You’ll easily find a recipe online for “Branston” which is a fair representation of the original.

What is interesting, and sort of relevent to the thread, is the list of ingredients on the jar we have, manufactured in the UK, includes “rutabaga”. The interesting thing is that “rutabaga” is not a word we use in the UK, This vegetable is a swede in most of the country and a turnip (neep) in Scotland. As far as I understand it, “rutabaga” is a word specifically used in North America. I presume that this usage relates to the ownership of Branston by the Japanese company, Mizkan, which Google indicates has a large part of its business in America.

In America, they are different but related.
What do y’all call turnips then?

1 Like

Nothing at all about creativity. I don’t like kale. My comment was meant to be lighthearted.

With respect to this particular restaurant please see my post above about their definition of fusion which is at best misleading. Add their price point and it is pretty clear that their market segment is political and when the novelty wears off they are probably not long for this world.

1 Like

Indeed. I am familiar with “Swede” as terminology for this root veg and believe I read about “turnip” which is quite a different root in the US.

The recipe you shared that I remembered is for your Christmas chutney that I made some weeks ago and are aging in our root cellar aka wine room. Turn left for cases of home canned goods and right for wine. Below grade, cool, temperature stable.

Branston pickle will be this afternoon’s cooking adventure. Using this http://www.pickyourown.org/branstonpickle.htm#fDi2wiuujhZ5PsmF.99

We’ll be in Scotland for a bit this Spring. No plans for haggis (ref @bbqboy link) but I’ll be watching for Branston pickle We’re flying into Heathrow, taking the train to Edinburgh and leaving from there. Would love a visit but I don’t think we’ll get that far east.

I did indeed. It took a little longer to get to it than I expected. I did have a recipe I liked and collected all the bits we don’t usually have. I ended up cooking it in a slow cooker to stay out of the way of other projects. I have four pints resting in the refrigerator - my recipe says two to four weeks. It smelled more vinegary than I expected but tastes lovely. An expanded ploughman’s lunch is in the plan for early January with my Branston pickle, Coastal Cheddar and a couple of other cheeses, pickled onion, smoked ham, and anything else I darn well please. I’m thinking a process of lunch into dinner wrapped up in blankets on the couch with a fire and watching movies. Just me, my wife, and her cat. I know my place in the hierarchy.

1 Like

When we were spending quite a bit of time in London and i was not eating red meat, Ploughman’s lunch was my order in pubs. Never knocked your socks off but was always reliable and comforting. Enjoy your pickle!

2 Likes

How can you go wrong with bread, cheese, pickles, some fruit, maybe a bit of ham, and a pint?

1 Like