If this is happening at McDonalds dining out will get really pricey

The key to ordering food at McDonald’s is you have to do it through the app.

Free chicken nuggets were on offer yesterday. $1 Big Macs a few days ago.

3 Likes

That’s nice. The play with Big Macs is to request they make it with the quarter pounder patties. It’s like a $2-4 up charge, but worth every once in awhile.

In and around Baltimore, in the late 50s and early 60s, two Baltimore Colts players started 2 hamburger chains: Gino’s and Ameche’s. Gino’s used to advertise “a meal for 5 for $1.75”. Breakdown for each person:hamburger - 15 cents (size of the “original” mcD hamburger), French fries (small) - 10 cents, and a ten cent Coke. Both chains disappeared; Gino’s was resurrected as a fast casual restaurant about 10 years ago by Gino Marchetti (he died a short while ago) that serves among other things the old Gino Giant and Ameche’s Powerhouse (think Big Mac before there were Big Macs) plus other stuff.

We all remember “a meal for 5 for $1.75”…

I think a Happy meal would come closest in spirit these days.

1 Like

19 plus tax and tip is basically $100 for 4. That’s what I meant. Not $25 before the extras. I am also rounding. 94 might as well be 100.

What I can’t fathom is the bacon quarter pounder meal being $17. That’s the burger, fries and a coke, right?

I did a faux order on Uber eats and it suggested it would be $12.60 around here, just to try to get a notion of local pricing. But I’ve never used such a service and don’t know if that included some service fee or if the fee would be added on at the end.

Any chance you were at a service island on a turnpike, where the state charges vendors large lease fees? Edit - nevermind, I see location from receipt.

Right now, where I live, a cauliflower costs $6.99 and a one pound bag of dried prunes has gone from
$4.99 to $7.99 in 2 years. It won’t be long before a McD’s combo with a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, large fries and drink costs $17.99 CAD.

I will stick to my occasional fast food burger ($6-$9 CAD right now, at McD’s or Wendy’s, or Canadian Harvey’s) , with a coffee from somewhere else. Or maybe a Happy Meal if I want fries.

The full-sized combos and super-sized combos are where they make their margins.

Also, we still get a lot of 2 for 1 coupons , or 2 can dine for $10 CAD type coupons, for all the fast food restaurants as flyers in the mail. I rarely use them, but that is a way to get a little more bang for the buck.