I Dream of Puglia

Thanks for posting this (and all your other helpful posts)!!

We’re leaving for a 3-week vacation to Puglia in May and this is an enormous help!

3 Likes

Thanks ninkat

My understanding is with public transport in Puglia its doable. Many stay in either Bari or Monopoli where you got good connections to Ostuni and other places. Some use taxis and private drivers. There were people in the Masseria where we stayed that had no car. Just relied on taxis which I suspect not as expensive as in other parts of Italy

My oldest just moved to Manhattan after graduating, and we are concerned that driving isnt part of the new lifestyle and wont be for a while.

4 Likes

Three weeks wow. Enjoy! May is a great time, but can get hot

2 Likes

Neither of my 20-30-something kids even have driver’s licenses. (sigh)

Looking through another post of your trip from Milan and through Emilia-Romana, etc., and that looks totally doable by train mostly with some taxiing thrown in.

Superb, as usual, Ziggy!

I’ve made (if my count is correct) five trips to Puglia in the past 12 years or so; two included Basilicata. Sad to say, all my CH writings are up in the CH heaven, but I will try to cut and paste a few notes here, or on another thread (which is better?)

I’ve never stayed in the city of Bari so I am thinking of going there for a couple of days exploring the old city (recommended??) and then driving into Basilicata to pick up a few strands of my beloved Senise peppers (long story; see SAVEUR.com for a few details; I can link it if people have trouble finding).

After Senise I am thinking of returning to the area around Minervino Murge, which is a fabulous eating area not far from Andria, home of burrata. I will be posting much more on this proposed idea, (which includes train north along the adriatic to Le Marche/Abruzzo, two other superb eating regions, and also my notes from prior trips to Puglia/Basilicata, but first I must get myself together for a planned eating trip to Spain next week. Thanks again to all…this forum has really taken the place of CH and I must remember to visit more often.

3 Likes