Husband says he wants to do Montreal and Quebec City for 8 days next Aug/Sept for our family vacation.

APDC has fresh seafood from the Gaspé Peninsula delivered daily during the summer. I love their lobster roll, which is topped with a little foie gras and yuzu drizzle . It’s rich, so I shared it with my DC on my last visit.

I agree their specials are great.

I like their pouding chomeur.

I’ve never ordered their duck in a can. Didn’t tempt me.

Their Sugar Shack meal (outside the city) is a fun experience for a group. Massive amount of food. We took at least half home with us.

That sucks, you can always go back tho :slight_smile:

I would absolutely love to go back! Ideally not in November, without the airline losing our luggage for 48 hours forcing my PIC to wear his travel clothes for his conference talk, and without my stomach bug.

We did go to a cute lil brunch place and a fab jazz bar with the most manicky dummer face I’ve ever witnessed.

A girl can dream :wink:

2 Likes

I had their seafood tower one summer eons ago. Everything was rubbery. VERY disappointing. It was particularly disappointing as I had so many great meals there before, and after.

1 Like

That’s too bad.

I have had good cooked fish, crab and scallops when I’ve visited, as well as the lobster roll, several times.

I guess most restaurants have good days and bad days.

Current daily menu, for reference https://www.aupieddecochon.ca/fc/nos-restaurants/restaurant-au-pied-de-cochon/menu-du-jour/

I was supposed to be in Montreal for the first time ever this week, on a work trip that sadly got cancelled. Reading this thread makes me want to go anyway!

3 Likes

You def should, it’s an amazing city. :slight_smile: I might go back next spring to use up my hotel credit before it expires.

3 Likes

Sounds like the trip from hell :frowning:

I hope you are able to visit sooner than later!

I used to visit two to three times a year.

I had one memorable visit with 5 Toronto Chowhounds in 2013.

I like to follow restaurants and chefs for future visits.

I’m not sure why Le Filet hasn’t been mentioned much on HO. It’s a great place to eat. http://www.lefilet.ca/mobile/

1 Like

I had a great meal at Le Filet, I’ll hit it the next time I go.

1 Like

It wasn’t the greatest trip ever, no.

1 Like

Let’s coordinate! Spring is the perfect time for Montreal.

1 Like

Let me sort out my trip to Spain first :smiley:

3 Likes

I had one memorable visit, to a chocolate show, with the vivacious moh and her husband many years ago. I was supposed to meet them again with a sweetbread pithivier I was going to make, and she was going to provide the wine, but sadly she passed away soon after, at 40, at the height of a brilliant career in ophthalmology.

6 Likes

Yes, I remember when she passed away. She was a lovely person.

I didn’t meet her in person. She had helped me plan a visit to Winnipeg.

I learned about moh too late. I loved that she played hockey, along with everything else she did. Plus she was Korean. So almost like a sister to me.

5 Likes

Looks like Montreal is well-covered.

For Quebec City, here is our report from an April weekend.

3 Likes

You must have been in an alternate Montreal. I found it shockingly cheap especially after the exchange rate. The produce available at Jean Talon was staggeringly better than what I find in farmers markets in the US and the cost was a fraction of what it would be home. The quality of restaurant meals was similarly much cheaper for equal quality.

Your instinct was right on that.

It doesn’t feel American at all. All the signs are in French. The québécois can get defensive about their culture and language. Their ability to shift between English and French is remarkable. You should absolutely go. It’s very different than the US and English speaking Canada. If you have time fly to Montréal and rent a car and see how far east you can go.

6 Likes

We are considering a cruise from Quebec city to Boston fall 2024. We will spend 3 days on QC before and 2-3 in boston. Looking forward to QC.

1 Like

I am starting to get “into it”. Thanks all!

1 Like