Hungry Onion was under Denial of Service (DDOS) attack today

A solid backup of the site is important in this age of (cyber) WW .

2 Likes

gasp Maybe the hackers are working forā€¦

I better not even write it!

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t surprise me.

3 Likes

If weā€™re referring to the same thing, it would surprise me A LOT.

3 Likes

I think my reply upthread to @Sunshine842 noted I donā€™t think it would be ā€œthose who will not be named who are shutting down their website next weekā€. :wink: But perhaps a group overseas being paid by a certain despot who looks to upset the equilibrium of any and all U.S. markets, including simple food message boards? :woman_shrugging: I mean - if a certain currency is worth less than pennies on the USD, theyā€™re going to be desperate for any kind of money.

And yes, I know - perhaps Iā€™m speaking flights of fancy. I just wouldnā€™t put it past him. Not anymore.

1 Like

I would never have put it past him, but I think heā€™s got, ahem, bigger fish to fry. One of the places I work was hit with a ransomware attack in the fall. I was very impressed not only how (relatively) quickly the IT folks got everything under control, but also how quickly we were all able to pivot to Plans B, C and D. Thanks, COVID! Weā€™re very flexible, now.

6 Likes

You really do not think this, do you? Really.

2 Likes

Do I think heā€™s directly involved? Of course not. Please.

Do I think he rewards those hackers who disrupt U.S. or U.K. banking institutions, AWS, Google, political and social media sites with DDOS? Again, I wouldnā€™t put it past him.

1 Like

I was starting to wonder if I attracted the hackers by posting the recipe for Ukrainian/ Russian pork roast to the Slavic Cuisine of the Quarter thread.

3 Likes

By the way, at least half the North Americans think Weight Watchers when they see WW without a number following it.

3 Likes

You drew a target on our backs!

2 Likes

Phew. Companies have what are called Bounty Programs. Hackers find vulnerabilities and bring them to the attention of the company and ask for bounties. We call those White Hats. Those that bring them to the companiesā€™ attention and threaten to exploit those vulnerabilities unless you pay them are called Black Hats. So, the Russian government could have such a bounty program in place. I work in the space. (My employer is mentioned in this thread). We have not seen a deluge of attacks in the region as they are stopped instantly.

8 Likes

Since this is your forte do you then believe this was a targeted attack? I too assumed it was some nefarious character just because what is there really to gain by locking up this site? Since my day job (finance) has been inundated with warnings about our servers/cloud, I just assumed this was part of what Iā€™ve been told to prepare for professionally. I guess you disagree, so if you donā€™t mind me asking flat out, what does something like this look like to you?

2 Likes

No, I doubt a party deliberately and specifically wanted to bring down HUNGRY ONION content. It was probably included in a larger targeted group - Discourse, the host the site uses, etc.

7 Likes

Interestingā€¦and thank you for the follow up.

2 Likes

Some of us just love living dangerously!
LOL!
ā€¦

Phoenikia
" I was starting to wonder if I attracted the hackers by posting the recipe for Ukrainian/ Russian pork roast to the Slavic Cuisine of the Quarter thread. "

3 Likes