Hungry Onion Recipe Collection

Shrimp and Clam in a white sauce over Pasta

this is a test; this dish from TV - if you’re old enough, you’ll likely recognize it…
for the last shrimp, who was the chef?

Although not a ten minute meal - it is easy to keep the ingredients on hand (frozen shrimp is a staple in our house) for a nice “what else we got?” change.
est. prep time is 40 minutes and note the roux&white sauce do burn on inattention.

Basics:
make a roux
turn roux into white sauce
cook pasta
add clams & shrimp to hot white sauce
serve

3-4 servings

two 6.5 oz cans chopped clam - do not use minced
drain clams and reserve juice

20-24 medium (40 /lb count) raw shrimp, (thaw,) peel, chop into bite size

the roux:
melt 4 T butter
add and cook to translucent (total of) 1/3 cup your choice: scallion/onion/leek
add 4 T flour and cook 5-6 minutes

the white sauce:
whisk in clam juice to roux
quarter tsp cayenne
alternate seasonings include Old Bay, hot sauce of your choice
if planned ahead, add 1 cup light cream - alternate: 1 cup milk

whisk until thoroughly heated - it will be too thick
use milk or water to thin to bit heavier than mushroom soup consistency - about one cup needed

I think this goes best with fettuccine - but use your fav pasta

about five minutes short of “pasta ready”
bring up the sauce to a mild bubble CAUTION on the burning !
adjust consistency if needed with milk/water/white wine
dash of brandy if you’d like to spice it up

add chopped shrimp and clams to sauce & stir frequently to heat thru
taste for salt: clams bring salt but I find a smidgen more is usually needed

notes: the shrimp needs to cook, but do not over cook. clams are already cooked - just need to heat through.
garnish sauce with chopped chive / basil / parsley

drain pasta

bingo: meal, ready to eat . . . .

working variations on a theme:
add half cup rough chopped roasted red pepper to white sauce at first cream/milk incorporation

1 Like

And you have hit the nail on the head! The problem is how butchers cut meat today. Becaue of my miserable damned allergies, I almost exclusively buy organic grass fed meats and I have boughy (mostly ordered onnline) “wkole pork shoulder roasts” that arrive in a variety of thickneses and weights. And that’s why I intentionally made the directions “you choose” when it comes to the size of the roast AND the size of the pan.

I’ve had “whole pork shoulder” roasts that ranged from 4 pounds to 15. Are they butchering mini pot belly pigs in America? Obviously they won’t all fit in the same pan, so I wing it. The really small one, if I recall correctly, I cooked in a Miu stainless steel “sauteuse” that was oven safe and fit that pork roat just fine. I.e used a dutch oven and even a tented Le Creuset enamaled cast iron roast pan I had to tent with aluninum foil.

The goal is to not have the roast sitting on the bottom of a dry pan, The braising works best if it starts out with enough cider or apple juice to reach up the sides of the roast anywhere from an inch deep to maybe half way up the roast, depending on the size of the roast and the size of your pan. It is delicious!

Sorry I can’t be more specific than that…

Sounds delicious! So the sauce isn’t cooked at all, right? And the tofu is just heated in the microwave?

Pretty much. But don’t forget the hot oil you pour over the tofu before you put the sauce on.

Gotcha, thanks!

Found it!

A take on the “Funeral Potatoes” thing, great thing to bring to work.

Once, for work, I had made a rub, covered a decent pork butt, 6 hour smoke, pulled it, made coleslaw, made BBQ sauce, bought correct rolls and brought it all to work. Threw this recipe together for something to serve it with and people could not stop talking about it.

Sigh. Whatever.

Midwestern Tater Tot hot dish

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can chicken gumbo soup
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup with1/3 less salt
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken rice soup with 1/3 less salt
1 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
1 (2 pound) package frozen tater tots

Directions
Brown beef and onion in skillet, crumbling meat while cooking; drain. Spread meat on bottom of 9x13" baking pan. Spread vegetables over meat. Heat soups and browning sauce to boiling, pour over vegetable layer. Cover with tater tots. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven until bubbly in center (60-70 minutes).

Im really a better cook than this, honest! Im just posting what people seem to eat rather than my take on Saag Paneer or Gumbo (which seems to be a total bust at work).

Go figure. working up a sloppy joe recipe currently. Folks cant seem to get enough of comfort food ( also working nights , this is a usual take)

3 Likes

Assuming I can post more than one?

For the first time yesterday I did a whole (prime from Costco) beef tenderloin, approx. 4#. Here’s the recipe:

It turned out perfectly despite my nervousness. I figured I’d share it in case any one else gets the “vapers” over this :slight_smile:

Is there a suitable substitute for Vegemite (or Marmite) ?

Red Rice

1 ½ Cups - Long Grain White Rice
3 Cups - Chicken broth, Vegetable broth or water
¼ Cups - Avocado Oil
Half a White Onion, diced
6 - Garlic cloves, sliced
2 Tbsp - Chile seasoning
10 sprigs - Fresh Thyme
½ tsp - dried Mexican Oregano
½ tsp - Cumin seed, whole or crushed

In a shallow pot with lid, not a sauté pan and not a stockpot, over med heat add oil. Add Onion and Garlic, sweat for about a minute. Add chile Seasoning, cumin seed, thyme & oregano and stir all ingredients well while cooking for an additional minute. Add all of the rice and stir for a minute. Add half of the broth and increase heat to high. When nearly all of the liquid has evaporated add the remaining half of liquid, lower heat to low flame and place a lid on the pan. Cook for approx 20 minutes.

=I sometimes add pcs of Chicken, or med shrimp, handful of frozen peas, or sauted mushrooms. Just keep the pcs bite sized. Good way to use up bits of plain leftovers.

2 Likes

Beef or chicken broth concentrate.

More times than not homemade chicken broth. We make stock every time we roast a chicken or buy parts. Less so with beef and rarely water. I am going to start adding bay leaf to my rice recipe.

1 Like

You can use an equal amount of miso.

World Market often carries small jars of marmite or vegamite if you want to purchase some. It keeps for quite a long time.

1 Like

Thanks, I have white miso in the frig. I never would have thought to use it as a sub this way.

You might enjoy this site:
http://www.foodsubs.com/

It’s my go-to for substitution ideas.

1 Like

Very useful, thanks!

When you say “chile seasoning”, is that just regular chili powder is some sort of special seasoning?

I use chili powder but I wrote it that way because individual heat preferences vary person to person.

1 Like

With comments

1 Like

Is she kidding??? Holy cow!!!

That’s got to be a gotcha or april fool’s day post…