Hungry Onion Drooling Q&A with Joyce Goldstein (Jan 6, 2017, 3pm PT)

Thank you Oliver
I love writing those books. Glad you are enjoying them. Makes me so happy.

2 Likes

Someone should take a photo of my pantry It is amazing. And inspiring. I open the doors and can cook in many languages. I also have a cellar full of my preserves and condiments. So cooking is always fun. I stay mmostly in the Mediterraneaen but cook dishes fromrother cultures as well.

3 Likes

I am wary of trends but the press and the public seem to need to hear about them
Look for more Middle Eastern food and more Korean,. I hope that will provide enough stimulation.

Middle Eastern food is delicious and underrepresented around here…

Too many restaurants for the size of our town…Too many options. Too many doing the same thing. Bad locations. Not enough cooks Not enough trained staff. Too many are anonymous. Impersonal , Fickle diners follwing trends and nonsense.

All of these ar reasons for restarants closing. Some of them were good too. Goodness is not always its own reward.

But timing, location competition are critical. And one needs time to build a true connection with diners, time and effort to develop a real clientele .

5 Likes

What is your favorite town/ city to eat outside the US?

Besides out wondeful Farmers Markets and our regular markets you can get almost anythings on line. Amazon has everything. Spices , condiments , odd equipement
There is not excuse not to cook.

2 Likes

Anywhere in Italy
Rome!!!
Barcelona.
Istanbul

Thanks for the opportunity to talk with you all. Hope this was helpful and hope I Answered most of your questions.
Joyce.

7 Likes

Thank you very much Joyce Goldstein for joining us today and sharing your perspectives and stories with us! Best of luck with your cookbooks in the future!

Check out Ms Goldstein’s cookbooks here and her web site here.

And thanks everyone for the questions. Have a wonderful time cooking and eating!

Thank you for taking the time, Joyce! BEst of luck!