Hull and Hingham (South Shore)

Hull has a number of eateries besides Jake’s. It also has a nice food market, liquor stores, bakeries, pharmacy, gas station, convenience stores, hardware store, the usual essential businesses. Go beyond Nantasket Beach and you’ll find there’s a lot to the little town of Hull.

2 Likes

Thanks. From my wanderings, there were all the things you mentioned, but, in fact, clustered near the beach, not as you went north. But you may mean something different by Hull than I did. This is the area that I was referring to (complete after asking Google for attractions):
Hull
You drive down “Main Street” and there’s nothing on it such as stores, restaurants, etc. These do emerge as you go further south, but what I’d think of as the main part of town (where the schools are, where the library is) has very little going on.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Hull is the entire town of which Hull Village is only one area and the most remote. You’re correct that there are few services at that end of town. I don’t know what the zoning is there but I suspect it’s residential rather than commercial. Thus, the lack of businesses. Main St means only that it’s the main street, not a side street. It’s not the main part of Hull.
I understand your confusion, though.

1 Like

Just to flesh out this thread, are there eateries and bakeries that you recommend? and which/where is the “nice food market”? Would be useful for many of us to know.

1 Like

I wish I could be helpful but since I don’t live in Hull I don’t have any opportunity to frequent restaurants and bakeries there. All I know is they exist.
Actually, I haven’t been inside a restaurant since before the pandemic. And, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve had a meal on a patio during this time. Friends tell me Jake’s is as good as ever, though.

The Fruit Center in Hingham is an excellent food market, very close to Hull

5 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

@fooddabbler sounds like a great short trip!

I have eaten at Jakes lo these many years (n fact, I am hard-pressed to think of any restaurant I have eaten at more often in the pre-pandemic decade, as during its season it was mostly where both my parents and I wanted to go). I have simply never had a bad meal there. I also really appreciated that the waitstaff were consistently well-trained and very rarely indeed “auctioned off” the food upon delivery (non-issue these days of course).

Second the call-out for the Fruit Center in Hingham.

5 Likes

My mom moved out of Hull a few years ago - and I’m stuck over here in Scotland without a trip back to the homeland for a few years now - but Wahlbergs bakery was fantastic and hopefully still is! Loved everything I had from there and pizza night was pretty fab if they still do that.

And as for markets, yes Fruit Center is AMAZE. But if Hull Village Market is the new version of Riddles post-buyout, I’d give that a go too cos I really liked them in the past. Any feedback on what it’s like now?

3 Likes