How would you categorize food for a website?

I like to learn new stuff like that. No age limit for learning. lol
The website is not a rewarding one to be honest, it’s more like a chewing gum :smiley: you start chewing, after some time the flavour’s gone, and then jaws start paining, and you want to spit it out but still you don’t. Something like that. lol.

2 Likes

First course
Main (Meat/Carb/Seafood/Veg)
Dessert/Bread
Sides
Drinks

At least this is how my recipes software look like, I also create tags for different Cuisines in the world.

3 Likes

for a recipe website this would be ideal. Mine is not a recipe site, so I might have to join first course and main into one category and then divide them to meat and non-meat.

1 Like

Meat is always problematic as some people will perceive it as mammals only. Fauna or animal are more inclusive, but you’d need to decide if you wanted that to include dairy and eggs (I’d vote yes).

1 Like

You could start with two categories: perishable and non-perishable, then add in the subcategories from there.

There would be odd overlap - canned or preserved vegetables vs. fresh - but those could be cross-referenced.

(This is loosely how I track our foodstuffs; didn’t realize it until the Safer at Home decision last year when trying to minimize shopping trips/delivery and I mentally sorted shopping lists into “needs to be refrigerated” [we have a small fridge/freezer] and “can go in the pantry.”)

1 Like

@greygarious @ElsieDee I decided to go for the minimum number of categories initially so something like flora and fauna, and fresh and preserved would be a wise idea I guess. And under them I will expand it into more categories based on other characteristics.

1 Like

I follow the logic and use it myself. There is more overlap than might be apparent. For example, fresh fruit and herbs dehydrated to become shelf stable. Fresh veg home canned to become shelf stable.

1 Like