How old is the typical HO?

Well, I started with COBOL on a Burroughs L5000. I was on the Internet in 1983 from an Amdahl mainframe (email before that, for that matter). My husband is currently the longest-running film reviewer on the Internet, also from 1983.

We used to eat out 5-6 times a week, so the pandemic was a major change. I did a lot of cooking from scratch for the first year; now I buy a lot of prepared foods, some frozen, but also “fresh-prepared” from a local market. We eat out now about once a week.

2 Likes

My 1st computer was a Wang 1981. A Monster. Like this pic.

5 Likes

Old enough to know better! My dad used to say that all the time. I love that phrase and use it regularly

3 Likes

Maybe not typical ho based on the responses but I’m 37. I’ve learned quite a bit from this site and it’s in my regular rotation. I cook about 5 nights a week but being honest they’re mostly repeats with edits and nothing photo worthy (why I dropped off the daily post).

5 Likes

Mine too.

1 Like

No. I’ve never felt the need or desire to carry a phone.

3 Likes

I’m either a very young Boomer or a very old Gen Xer… born in ‘64

1 Like

Young boomer. You just missed the cutoff for Gen X, which is 1965.

1 Like

I’m another X. I use both a mobile or my laptop for reading and posting, but usually posts with a lot of typos are via mobile. :grimacing:

I always ate at home more than restaurants, but once a week wasn’t out of the question. Now it’s more like once every two months, but I’ve done way more takeout since the pandemic. This is not only because I miss certain restaurants, but I want to support the restaurants when I can. I haven’t posted many reviews based on takeout if only because it’s such a different experience. I also rely on delivery a lot which can further compromise the overall food experience (was the delivery guy careful with the food?) so I don’t want to harp on something they can’t control.

2 Likes

I remember discovering Zork when I was in school. Text based game that seems so clunky now but was cutting edge. So then later in life through a bunch of happenstance events, I meet and have become friends with one of the original 4 creators of the game. It was a shame I tossed my copy of the game years ago as at one point I was out with 3 of the 4 and we were talking about how they had created the game when they were students at MIT. If I still had the game, they had offered to sign it and get the 4th later. Would have been cool in a completely nerdy way.

7 Likes
2 Likes

I guess we really started with a bowling game on a teletype, around 1970.

Small world! I might still have a book that came with it.

X

Don’t go out much due to finances, pandemic, jadedness.

Though I am waiting on Indian takeout right now :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m a Boomer and still dine out indoors twice a week on weekends in NJ and post on the WFD thread. My wife and I are fully vaccinated and boosted. I take pictures on my iPhone and post on my iPad and sometimes use my pc.

3 Likes

My 17th birthday is coming in July. Lol .

Boomer & GenX? wife, no wait, she just makes the cut-off too…shhh, don’t tell her!

PC Only for online stuff but a cell has become indispensable despite the often aggravating user interface. (the main reason why I don’t do pictures)

Played Trek on a Dec-writer.

We ate out a lot more when we lived right downtown in Portland but moved a couple miles out. Have a new favorite walk-able & affordable place-- BRUNO’S. Old school Italian but not a “red sauce joint”. Gastro-pub would be more appropriate but they’ve been around for 30+ years. Good chicken piccatta, and oddly, the best bacon cheese burger I’ve ever had here. Now it’s pretty much just there, delivery, & fast food.

Came here when chow hound was sold & they chased away all the interesting denizens. But I still look in over there every couple of weeks.

1 Like

I’m a mid-Boomer but there are contributors here at HO that are actually older than Boomers.
I don’t think going out to eat has anything to do with age. Except for about 75 days of shutdowns when we did takeaway every night, I’ve averaged at least one meal a day out (prefer indoors even now) for 10 years. Many of my younger friends won’t eat indoors now and some don’t have the time or money to eat out every night.
The reason there is less restaurant discussion here is that on most boards here there is a much, much smaller community than there used to be on CH in the good old Jim Leff days.

4 Likes

Gosh. I can’t imagine being wealthy enough to even consider that. We usually manage once a week but are the only members of our family who do so - most almost never eat out, not even for special occasions.

I am a boomer, born in the last couple years of the boomer birth years. I was a Chowhounder for years, a “Member Since the Beginning” as they put it. But my CH area has just one active poster now. I post there sometimes but the great personalities/resources just moved away from the site. I really can’t say why. My favorite sites on HO are Asia/Pacific and Europe. I am wanting to get back to foreign travel SOON!!!
I post on both my iPhone and my Mac.
I eat out at least once a week during this pestilence. Mostly Mom and Pop’s, not “fine dining”.

1 Like