How Does Your Garden Grow - 2017

DH has a friend who lives in an apartment with a terrace that gets sun in only one spot
she posted this pic and I had to share it … getting creative … vertical herb garden … tomato plant

4 Likes

Well, after a slow start my container garden is finally taking off. While the plants are around half the size they normally are by this time of year, they are producing fruit. The cherry tomatoes had a first ripening yesterday and I picked around 20 from my two plants. My overwintered cayenne chile plants are doing great and have around ten so far on each plant, and one early one that has been large and red for days, super ripe. I broke down and picked it last night. Cut it in half, deseeded, and threw in the dehydrator on low over night. I will grind it up today to sprinkle on dinner. I didn’t dry any last year, just made fermented sauces, but this year I will be drying up a years supply besides making sauce.

I’ll post pics later.

2 Likes

I’ve got my first little tomatoes ripening. On the yellow pear tomato plant about four ripened but when I picked them I saw they have holes in them, maybe half a centimeter in diameter. Oddly the other tomato plant (another kind of small tomato) doesn’t appear to be having the same problem, yet anyway. In my years of container gardening tomatoes I never encountered this-- but now we have a new house, new conditions, new garden layout (raised beds) and lots of new wildlife to contend with. Any thoughts? Insects? Birds? I’ll try to post a photo later.

On the plus side, my balcony garden is thriving.

The cucumbers are growing.

The tomatoes are ripening.

The peppers are proliferating.

On the minus side, wtf is this asshole doing here? (The picture’s a little blurry 'cause my hands were shaking with rage.) I’m on the 5th floor! I defenestrated about 12 of these bastards last night and this morning, but my poor kale may never recover.

1 Like

Oh nooooo! I ended up pulling out all my kale and planting lettuce and carrots in its place due to those little buggers. I was so pissed!

You have my sympathy…I know how it feels!