How do you share your groceries lists with partner, spouse or yourself?

Used email for a long time, not very ideal, as many items can be overlooked by H, see the reasons in this thread. Switched to default Reminders in iOS that have checklist, but the recent update created bugs that made synchronisation between phones not possible. Trying to look for new ways.

How do you share your shopping list? Paper? Apps? Memorisation?
Even if you are solo, how to you note that?

1 Like

We created a shared note (iphones) that either of us can add things to a grocery list. That way whomever ends up at the store can have the shared list . . . . it’s been working pretty well for a few years now.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s via text message, if just a few items. Usually I write a list on paper and group things together, based on how the store is organized. H gets huffy at times and insists he doesn’t need a list at all. Then guess what happens? Yep!

We also have a chalkboard to note specific items that we’ve run out of for both regular groceries and Costco runs. Try to keep a list for Penzey’s also. Since we both cook and shop usually, I’ve stressed the need for him to let me know if he’s used the last egg, onion, celery and stuff like that. He’s pretty good about it now. :blush:

1 Like

List is just for myself, and it’s always on paper, written in the rough format of the aisles in supermarkets. Or at least an approximation of the way they used to be as a young adult. I learned the list from Mom, and still do it that way.

From top left down:

Produce & fruit
Baking items (flour, sugar, spices)
Coffee/tea/juices
Condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard, peanut butter, jams, sauces)
Pasta and tomato sauce, rice and canned veggies

Then top right down:

Cereals
Frozen items
Wraps and bags (foil, etc.)
Pet food and stuff (although I now buy that at Petco)
Scooby Snacks (crackers, pretzels, chips, Fritos)
Dairy (butter, milk, eggs, yogurt, cheese)

Meats and fish items go down the middle of the list

So even if coffee beans are WAY over to the back of the store in Wegmans and technically should be listed near Scooby Snacks and Dairy, I still write those items in the bottom third of the left hand column.

3 Likes

I do that too! And from non food items to dry to fresh to frozen food.

2 Likes

My wife keeps two paper lists in the kitchen, one for regular grocery (Giant Food usually) and one for warehouse (Sam’s Club). I add to those if I find something is out or hits a perceived “buy more” level. Downside: we have to “shop” in the basement pantry because I don’t always remember what we already have.

I also have my own list. It’s in Notepad on my computer. When we do weekly meal planning we merge lists. If my wife is going to shop she adds my items to her paper list. If I’m going to shop I take her list, add the items to mine, and sort by the organization of the grocery store. Produce, dairy, dry goods, meat, frozen.

1 Like

We use an app called Out of Milk; it’s basically a checklist that can be shared so that Mr. N and I can both edit it as we notice we need stuff. It has additional features we haven’t tried much; for example, I think you can group the items into categories if you like to have your list sorted by general area of the grocery store.

1 Like

Looks good, will have a try!

Grocery IQ
It let’s me keep lists for different stores that I go to for different things, sync and share with family members, pick from our past lists and "favorites ", and sorts by typical aisles, although that seems to depend somewhat on name brands, which seems a little shady. There’s a sale and coupon feature, but I don’t use it. There is a way to edit what you select, which comes in handy for things like “if they don’t have this brand at this price then skip it” or “that one with the man with the hat”.

There’s a checkout feature, and if you click it, what you got comes off the list, and what you didn’t stays on.

There have been occasional tech issues. Apparently it was acquired by “Coupons” in 2009. Amazon, which is the only place I can find it now, is saying last update was 2013, but I think it was in 2019.

I was looking for a link and found this “best grocery shopping apps”. and “alternatives to”.

I sometimes use Google reminder which can be set to remind you of things when GPS knows you are in a certain location.

1 Like

Don’t know why, my to do list for myself, it has to be on paper. With apps, I keep pressing snooze forever and makes me crazy. But on paper, the crossing of the task gives optimal satisfaction, big achievement!

4 Likes

You left out the part about doing something not on the list that you add to the list so you can cross it off.

5 Likes

Just me. List on the back of the envelope the circular comes in. At the top is what I need. Then I have a column for the weekly specials at the markets I use. I may or may not actually buy these. If, for example, the quick-sale clearance rack has eggplant and tomatoes, and ground beef or lamb, is on sale, I’ll get it and make moussaka.

When my late.mother lved with me, there was a magnetic wipe-off board onnthe fridge. Mostly, she remembered to writedown anything she needed, or if she’d used up something. I’m old enough to be flabbergasted by the array of apps available for tasks I do on scrap paper. I do think folks should avoid using electricity when feasible. Clotheslines, a wooden spoon for simple batters/doughs… If you shovel snow and push a rotary mower, you may not need a gym membeship. You also cut down on pollution, and the risk of hearing loss. Every bit helps.

2 Likes

“If you shovel snow and push a rotary mower, you may not need a gym membeship.”

That makes me think of some sort of reliable precipitation! I’m from NY and I remember shovels. I’m thinking the mower is for grass ( the lawn kind), and I remember that as well!

I do think gardening is good for your health, and am grateful to have it ( with irrigation) year round!

I share my list by leaving it on the kitchen counter when I head to the store…

My local grocery has an app where you can mark all the things in the flyer that you want to put on your list, and add all the other things. It will then generate an aisle-by-aisle list for you (and rearrange it if you go to a different store). Great feature, but I rarely manage to use it.

2 Likes

He thinks it. He never writes down what he needs. Then, when I get back, he says “oh, i need so and so.” And onto the list for next week it goes. On a sticky note meant for lists that I can stick on the shopping cart.

Well said. I agree that bread making or batter without a machine actually needs some energy and can be good for people who have hand pain due to extensive mouse use.

Yes and no. I do have back pain with bending over with repetition gesture in the garden, but I think the pain is resulted from years of sitting before the computer for too long. Here, no snow to shove (or once every few years), but piles of fallen leaves (up to several inches high) to get rid of coming from the outside trees from autumn to winter.

That said, I still need apps for lists when going out. :rofl::joy:

I’ll share with you what I tell my crews on yacht delivery: never be too proud to crawl. You get down on your hands and knees and crawl around. It’s getting up and down that’s hard. Now when you’re on a moving platform things get really sporty - it’s like working through an earthquake that doesn’t end.

1 Like

I’m feeling you about the back pain! I’ve bee. Struggling with a wrist injury for months, and recently noticed a nagging back pain as well. I’m feeling very old right now. OTOH, it occurs to me that what improves my health with gardening, especially my mental health, are the things that gardening help you appreciate. Patience, for one! The other main one that comes to mind on my way out the door is WATER! A pretty big deal here, maybe bigger than electricty (is that blasphemy? I DO have solar panels).

I use a combination of Evernote and iOS Notes.

Family members use Wunderlist to share, I can see the utility especially for grocery lists because you can add stuff while someone else is out shopping.

Friends use Google Keep.

1 Like

Always on paper.

2 Likes