How Do You Keep Kittens/Cats Off Your Kichen Counters

@meatn3 really hit most of the points I might have made. I’ve taken to using the Sssssstttt! noise that Cesar Milan uses with dogs he’s training and it (mostly) works with my two cats.

There’s only one of mine (the ginger devil cat, Finnegan) that continues to go on the counter and dining room table, but almost never when I’m there. I just find the dishtowel I use for drying dishes disturbed or moved on the counter, so I know he’s been up there. Alfalfa doesn’t go on the kitchen counter. And neither of them EVER try to get up there when I’m in the kitchen cooking!

BUT…having said that, they’re both allowed on my bathroom counter when I’m getting ready for work in the morning. So I totally know I’m giving them mixed signals. But other than Finn and his penchant for sitting on the dining room table to look out the window, they’re pretty good eggs.

Using what @jammie said - tapping the floor and giving her a crunchie down there when she’s done something good- might get her to associate the floor with food.

Also - is your kitten fixed yet? They settle down after being spayed - although the “kitten attitude” can hang around for awhile afterwards.

2 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I’ve given up trying to keep our two cats off the countertops. The rule now is that no food ever touches the surface of the counter. Everything is on a clean cutting board, plate, bowl or pan. That way I’ll know that if I missed something when I cleaned the countertops at least it won’t get in the food (knock on wood).

3 Likes

Do you mean keep the cat from laying in the planter? If so, I’ve had good luck using sweet gum balls as mulch. No idea if they are native in your area but they are all over the place where I live.

2 Likes

Ummm, yeah - Finnegan would just scoop those out of the planter and play with them. And then they’d become the “natural Legos” in my house (since I don’t have kids) and I’d step on them in the middle of the night.

I stick with wrapping the dirt and planter’s rim with foil. LOL

2 Likes

No, laying will be more than fine. But using the pots for relieving themselves and kill the plants. Unfortunately foil doesn’t work with neighbour’s cat.

Yup!

I’d wake up with them in my bed :smirk_cat:
EDIT: a neighbors cat pulls the plants up and out and drags them under her bed …no use for the planters or plants, it’s happy doing just that

As for my house, indoor plants are sparse.
I bought a potted palm tree home, within 3 seconds there was a set of eyes staring at me from within the fronds … the end!

1 Like

My credentials on this topic are that while I no longer have pets, I worked for a vet for several years, was a cat club official, and raised and showed Siamese, Oriental Shortairs, and Cornish Rex for half of my 70 years. These are the most food-driven breeds. The spray bottle is most effective aimed at the face, and does no harm. Yelling.is unnecessary. Mine quickly learned, to the point that my merely reaching for the spray bottle sent them fleeing. Sharply rattling a soda can containing a few coils or screws is also effective. To both keep her occupied while you cook, and prevent overeating, use a rubber spatula to spread the cat’s wet food all over the surface of a pan or plate. Preferably rectangular, so it can be propped upright. Otherwise she may stand on the plate and track food.

1 Like

Until this thread I thought I was an experienced animal lover and carer. I realize now I need all the help I can get & thanks to all for your very thoughtful posts.

I have already started implementing several tips. :blush:

2 Likes

I have an area on the floor where my cat habitually sprayed. I tried every trick in the book. I decided to just discourage him from hanging out in that spot. I found some buy by the foot rolls of plastic at the hardware store which had tons of tiny sharp plastic bumps on the back. I wish I could remember its intended use, maybe shelf liner. I put it down bump side up and it worked like a charm. He won’t walk on it. You could put that one the counters until the kitten gets the idea.

I have mine trained to just sit at the bar where they can watch me cook which one in particular seems to enjoy. They know not to cross the ledge between the bar and kitchen. Occasionally they test me by inching over but they back off quickly when told. Bad to train them that way but I enjoy their company.

2 Likes

I think you may have purchased a plastic runner to protect high traffic areas of carpeting.

Actually, it’s a terrific idea! They can watch and satisfy their curiosity in a way that also works within your rules. You’ve created a ritual that they enjoy and feel a part of.

1 Like

Propping the plate on its side never would have occurred to me - very ingenious!

1 Like

I like the tilted bowls and stand because they make eating possible for mittens who would only lick her food and drop the solids on the floor when eating out of a flat dish … not sure you can see from the pictures but the bowls tilt as much as you want them to, they wont move once you position them … I purchased from chewy

May I ask how old was the cat when you adopted her? Has the cat lived with her mother for the first few months? How’s your kitty’s relationship with the existing cat at home?

Naf, she was 8 weeks old when we adopted her from a rescue shelter but her mom was there too and seemed like a calm medium sized cat.

Single cat household, our much loved 19 year old tortie died 2 years ago.

I pet sit at my house for both of my daughters’ when they travel or other special circumstances. So kitty (Molly) has been around other animals. At one point in early fall I had 2 Boston Terriers, and the youngest’s 2 cats and no one liked each other very much.but it’s amazing how far they’ve all come co-existing with each other.

• We unexpectedly lost our oldest child’ s 9 year old Boston prematurely in September after a series of seizures. Despite emergency treatment including an MRI, he didn’t make it.

That’s why we have a baby Boston in our house right now, daughter comes on weekends and when she can. It’s been a happy time for us.
Baby Milo isn’t fully vaccinated and can’t go to Doggy Day Care yet.
Doggies go to day care maybe once a week.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I wanted to explain clearly. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have the same issue. My first cat was unbelievably “easy” – never walked on table tops and counters. He had no interest. He was also a good at baths, but I digress. My current cats are just about the opposite of my last cat…? Never met a surface top they didn’t want to try to get on to. I mean, one of them will spend nearly all summer sleeping on my granite counter top of my island because it’s cool. :expressionless:

I just gave up and reside myself to constant clorox/lysol/anti-bacterial wipes for my counters.

1 Like

Sorry for the lost dog. Indeed a lot of animals.

Normally 8 weeks old is still a bit too young to leave the mother, as the kitten has not learn all the essentials from her mother, and can have some behaviour problem. You need to continue the cat education as her “mom”. They need to learn a NO means a NO. Sternly saying NO loudly, clap your hands, and pushed a bit her back, like a mother cat. You need her to see you are really upset.

I guess she is learning also from the other cats, but more to defend her territory.

If the cat has access to exterior, that will divert much of the unused energy. Cats get bored at home.

Your cat is 7 or 8 months old now? Should calm down a bit compared to 2 - 3 months old. Maybe plugged a Feliway in the kitchen, or find way for the cat to sit and watch you working from a height or distance. My cat when he was at that age, he watched me all the time when I worked in the kitchen, on the top of the cupboards or the stairs. After a while, he got bored and just go to do something else. Or he preferred going out. When the kitchen is not in used, close the door.

A “naughty” cat can also be a sign that she is an alpha cat or she is just more intelligent than other cats.

1 Like

Short answer IMO “Alpha is as alpha does” :smirk_cat:
In our home this is the hierarchy
DH (it’s a constant struggle between these two)
Mittens
me
I never had an alpha cat before, entirely different experience, very apparent with this one that she sees/experiences us as if we were cats

2 Likes

Thanks Naf, I will be using some of your advice and appreciate you for posting it here.

I sensed she was intelligent from the very start.

Funny about the alpha order, I told the 2 daughter that I was the alpha female and they were the betas. Told them only 1alpha & I was it. Think the oldest is still irked about it.
Irked about it

1 Like

We’re taking baby steps around here. Happily we’re making progress.

Wanted to share what we’re doing. DH has a fearsomely loud voice and is using it consistently when he’s home. I use my loudest voice too, but am ready for a respite at the end of the day. Also giving them treats on the floor while praising them. I have been using hand signals usually to point down.

This has been helpful too; if I want anything on the counters to be safe from the cat & doesn’t need refrigeration, I put it in the microwave on a clean paper plate, recycling the paper if possible, thus reducing the risk of cross contamination. (don’t recall if anyone posted it here, but don’t have time to retread the whole thread)

We’re no germaphobes by a long stretch, but tend to be meticulous when making food for others, especially for my 93 year old father and his celiac girlfriend. :blush: Also for canning, jam making and pastry projects.

1 Like