How do you celebrate your birthday? Favourite restaurant, favourite foods? Takeout?

As a kid my parents never made a really big deal of our birthdays, but we always got our favorite meal at home on the day (I was always a steak and potatoes kid . . . still am :slight_smile: I hated my one sister’s birthday as she preferred fried shrimp and pasta. But every birthday–even mom’s and dad’s–required chocolate chip pound cake from the local bakery.

As I got older it was the usual local bar blowout. My birthday often falls on Labor Day weekend, so picnics and barbecues were not uncommon.

Now I am at an age where I’d prefer not to acknowledge that day, but mom still takes me out for a nice lunch or dinner and sisters and sundry relatives call me (not text, not e-mail :wink:

I have three very close friends from high school and we were all born within three weeks of each other (same year). All these decades later we still have a big birthday dinner at a restaurant. For milestone birthdays it’s a long weekend away with lots of wine and good food

8 Likes

HAH! Whereas, my favorite birthday meal was roasted leg of lamb, potatoes and probably peas. And a boxed mix spice cake (Duncan Hines, I think?) My sister despises lamb and peas. So Mom always had to make something separate for her.

Back in the 60s and 70s, it wasn’t as easy to get lamb in the fall (my birthday is in October). So Mom would almost always buy 2 for Easter, and one would be very well wrapped and tucked in the back of the freezer for my birthday meal 6 months later. :smiley:

11 Likes

Mom wasn’t big on alternate meals. I think I generally got a salami or grilled cheese sandwich. As long as the chocolate chip cake was there, it was all good.

4 Likes

Let’s see how many bday meals I remember:

Age 12 and 14: Pizza
Age 13: Chinese takeout
Age 17: Mr Greenjeans in Toronto
Age 30: Cinco de Mayo house party
33: big communal Thai dinner at a place called Supermarket in Toronto, that is more of a live music venue now.
34: Cinco de Mayo house party
40: Neapolitan pizza party for 40 ppl at Pizzeria Libretto in Toronto
41: Splendido (now closed ) tasting menu
42: Greek dinner at Pantheon on Danforth, brunch at Café Boulud, including a basket of madeleines.
43 or 44: Rijsstafel at Noorden (now closed) in TO

Last year, chili lobster and duck confit takeout from Craft Farmacy.

Leaning towards takeout enchiladas this year.

4 Likes

Very low key and it’s been that way for some time now. Sometimes I spend it with family or friends, sometimes I’m on my own and I’m fine with that.

3 Likes

That’s a special story. My dear mother turned 90 a few months ago, we’re 20 years and many miles apart. I talk to her at least once a day on the phone.

5 Likes

I often wonder how things would have been between us, had either of my parents lived to a ripe old age. As it was, both died in their 60s, while I was in my 20s.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. I lost my father when I was in my early 30’s. I have a special bond with my Mom. She & I were the only girls in a household with 6 males. I can’t fathom losing her.

4 Likes

Keep that BF forever!

1 Like

When the kids were younger, and we were both working like dogs and too tired to cook, we let them choose which restaurant they’d like dinner at. Chuckie Cheese was too far away, so many times they chose an upscale family pizza parlor. Sometimes it was Toxic Smell ( Taco Bell—ick). Later dinners were more relaxed and home cooked, their choice of menu and dessert. My favorite birthday #10, dinner ever, was at Trader Vic’s when it was in Oakland. To a kid it was a wonderous place, full of sights and mystique and the pan fried abalone, bedspring potatoes and LeSueur peas were memorable. My 60th fell on Fat Tuesday and oh what a party with a few close friends at the local Cajun joint. This last birthday I was solo and picked up take out from my favorite sushi/Japanese fusion spot. Never again! The order was way wrong (found this out when I got it home) and I overtipped (35%) because well, it was my birthday and I felt generous. Most if it landed in the compost or trash. I’ll eat there in person dining, but not take out. # 70 is in the plans

7 Likes

Neither was mine. Usually it would be cereal or a PB&J sandwich. But for a birthday meal, she’d make an exception. My sister probably got a piece of chicken and the sides we had with my birthday lamb.

2 Likes

Holy moly. I can barely remember the last place we went out to this week!

Starting in my teens when my dad’s business began doing well we got in the habit of going out to nice dinners for everyone’s birthday. I recall having several at Bern’s by the time I graduated from high school so that place holds a mythical place in my personal history.

8 Likes

It’s changed a lot over the years. 10-15 years ago, there was a bar restaurant that had a huge space in the back and if you gave them an estimate of how many people you were going to have, you didn’t need to pay deposit or anything like that. We sometimes had 50+ people there
 Mainly for drinks, but some people ordered food. It wasn’t really a dining destination. Lol. I usually had dinner elsewhere with a few friends beforehand.

Eventually that changed to only a dozen or so people in a restaurant somewhere
 When the focus became more on food with close friends and less like a huge party. That huge bar was out of business by then anyway. We had maybe a dozen people in a food Hall that had some great Asian options
 Just before the pandemic.

Then the pandemic happened and we skipped a year.

This year, I had a friend visit from New York City that weekend, and had two different birthday lunch get-togethers of eight or so people who are ready to eat indoors. One was Filipino food in a food Hall (not the one I mentioned earlier) and the other was a sushi brunch. I also had dinner with him five nights at he was here, one at the restaurant of a celebrity chef. Hopefully, next year people will be more comfortable dining indoors, since I still have friends that aren’t and my birthday is in the winter.

4 Likes

As a child, mine used fall on U.S. Memorial Day (sometimes still does) and there would be parades and a carnival!

Now I usually go out to dinner in Napa or Sonoma with husband and adult kids.

4 Likes

I have a nephew who was born on July 4. When he was little he thought parades and fireworks were part of every birthday.

8 Likes

By request, we host our son and grandkid’s birthdays with formal table and menu and cake of their choice,. Husband and I try for more low key, maybe a cake party in the afternoon if the kids insist.

2 Likes

I celebrated with chicken enchiladas from a place called Los Lobos (not traditional, won’t bother with a photo) and some carrot cupcakes my cousin had delivered from a bakery called La Noisette this year

12 Likes

Those are probably the most gorgeous cupcakes I’ve ever seen!

3 Likes

Is it time to wish you a happy birthday, @Phoenikia? Best wishes if it’s that moment!

2 Likes

Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:. It was a few days ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes