Houston - Favorite Mexican Restaurant?

So! You’re an antiburritite, eh?

I should have known!

2 Likes

Burritos are a dangerous and subversive food stuff. They’re for people that like the Keanu Reeves version of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” better than the Michael Rennie/Patricia Neal one.

But what if a flour taco identifies as a burrito? HUH? What about that you anti-burritite.

:rofl:

I’ve never even seen the Keanu TDtESS and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to change that. I hear they’re remaking The Princess Bride.

Inconceivable!

Have a great day JCO.

2 Likes

I don’t like a giant tortilla filled with rice, beans and the stray neighborhood dog or cat.

You?

TWell this ain’t it.

Candente

I was stoked to try the new Candente, and I disliked everything about it.

The patio, the patio is nice. Wish I had opted for it because THERE’S NO A/C. And apparently there hasn’t been since the beginning. Can I recommend Call John. Get Moore. AC repair?

And with no circulation, the wood burning grill smells permeate every fiber. Of you.

The food looks good but was really bland. The two salsas are both super tart. It’s by the Pit Room BBQ folks and there is plenty to order with BBQ in it, but I didn’t.

The lunch “pick 2” combo was reasonable at $12. The portions are large. But anyone up for an $80 appetizer combo?

https://www.candentehtx.com/

That’s too bad - it looks pretty good.

Went to my favorite local old school place the other day, El Gallo on Gessner.

I went for some to go good queso and chips and ate some fajitas there.

I have never had them there before and didn’t know what to expect but they were delicious, perfectly cooked, seasoned, and tender with all the trimmings.

The fajitas were 15.99, I thought the menu said 13.99 but due to probable brain/eye malfunctions I didn’t question what is still a good value.

2 Likes

Probably , (but unknowingly), at least once.

I for sure ate a couple of tacos made with fish fried in a 50 gallon drum by a local at the Pink Lighthouse in Cozumel. I have no idea where the fish, or the oil or the 50 gallon drum came from, but they were delicious and I still dream about them sometimes.

3 Likes

We had tacos on the street in Durango, Mexico, it was dark, we were starving and had no idea what they were except they were delicious.

We joked later that they were dog.

2 Likes

Uhmmm…

Enchiladas, Burritos & Tamales

1 Like

Wow, two hole burritos on the menu for the mentally challenged. You won’t catch me putting one in my pie hole so it can come out another hole, I have seen enough doctors and hospital rooms this year and a burrito would most likely finish me off.

We were there again yesterday for perfect carnitas and coctel del camaron. Lots of soon to be very happy HOUSTON ASTROS fans rockin’ their gear but nary a disgusting burrito in sight.

Hey OysterDude,

Do you remember a taqueria style diner at 1834 Gessner back in the early to mid-90’s?

I used to meet a buddy there for lunch and my son and I would go there for weekend breakfasts, but I can’t for the life of me remember the name. It was popular and we’d often have a wait for a table/booth. It wasn’t uncommon for us to be the only gringos, but we were treated like family along with everyone else. I’m thinking I was particularly fond of the pastor but I don’t remember seeing a trompo.

The building is a Mac Haik used car lot now.

That was a great little joint.

The only thing I can think of is Taqueria Cancun.

1 Like

Guess where I had lunch today for the first time since 2019? Hint: Mr & Mrs Ostiones loved the margaritas and a certain bartender. I’m feeling outright normal today.

4 Likes

Lopez celebrated their 45th recently. I didn’t go but I’ve been jonesing for their carnitas since I heard about it.

3 Likes

I was there a few weeks ago to kill a hankering for The basic trio. You should try the rib tacos too. They’re so delicious.

3 Likes

Had them many times, thanks!

2 Likes