Houston - Favorite Mexican Restaurant?

Yes, welcome and please do hang around.

3 Likes

So there you have it, Malarkey. Some of my silly friends. That I love so dearly!

Doobs. My favorite meal in Houston is the Hugo’s Sunday Buffet. I have never been there “non buffet” and ordered off of the menu. Quite possibly a completely different experience.

There’s a Lupe Tortilla out here in Katy and we think it’s pretty great. Next time you’re out here in the burbs you should try Azul Seafood Tapas. Interesting (weird actually) concept. But very good and unusual food.

2 Likes

My sentiments also, Doobs. I’ve been to Hugo’s maybe 3 times, and never wowed, but I haven’t been to the brunch.

Caracol served me the worst birthday dinner I’ve ever had, with old and overcooked lobster and various other mediocre dishes, with deplorable service. I think I wrote of it here. One lunch before that was good but not memorable except for the blistered peppers that I went for. Nowadays I can find them in all the stores so I make them myself. I have given up on Hugo’s places, tho I still frequent his wife’s Backstreet which has been consistent for many years now.

I’d like to think they have upped their game and that malarkey’s experience can be enjoyed by all these days, and not just when they are on their game. What did you order malarkey?

Great idea for this to be a “Texas” board - not just Houston, or individual cities. For one thing, we’re all so mobile. We love our highways and our vehicles. I remember someone commenting about a restaurant and adding, “but 300 miles is a long way to go for lunch, even for Texans.” :sunglasses:

1 Like

Interesting lambowner. I went to Caracol for brunch. It was really fabulous. Several kinds of ceviche, raw oysters, several types of moles, several types of grilled fish, several types of tamales, etc. I could NOT stop eating. I was scary full when I left.

I loved Backstreet when I was working in Houston. But we also had a dinner there during our September stay that was decidedly lackluster and disappointing. And it wasn’t that busy! I do love that space though, we were overlooking the sparkling gem of a patio they have.

I’m totally game for there to be just a “Texas” board. As long as peeps are talking about food, chefs, and restaurants, I’m happy. An idea would be If the city is always mentioned in the title, everyone can tell at a glance the location of the topic.

2 Likes

Half the posts here do not identify either Houston or Texas in the title. That’s true of other boards too. That isn’t going to change if the board is just identified as Texas but I’m in favor of anything that gets more people contributing. Originally it was a Texas/Oklahoma board but the one outcast/refugee from CH from OK gave up in a few weeks.

ETA: Sometimes when they do put the name of the town, I still don’t know where it is! Both town and state are needed sometimes.

Whoa! That was fast.

Lemme try that again:

I hereby decree that all HO members be granted 100,000 bitcoins.

Let it be done!

2 Likes

When you start a post, it prompts you for the city. Why don’t folks do it? The NE is bad about this.

Say what?

Who needs bitcoins when you have this:

wilson-100-grand

2 Likes

Thanks!

Do I just print it out and deposit it, or what? :sunglasses:

1 Like

El Gallo on Gessner is now Guadalajara! End of an era.

:joy::joy:

1 Like

Lambsy you had me worried. I just called them and they said they are not Guadalajara and aren’t go to be.

I love The Chicken for old school beef and chicken enchiladas plus stuffed bell peppers.

Ok, I got clarification. The offspring of the family that owns El Gallo are responsible for Guadalajara and Escalante (Torres family), or so I’m told. Perhaps El Gallo is under the umbrella of Guadalajara now. Last night a friend went and on FB where you “check in” it is now Guadalajara, but with the same web address etc. Nope, take that back, the website on the page takes you to guad.com.

Glad they will not change things, probably best for them to put the facebook page back to El Gallo.

1 Like

I didn’t bother with “Houston” in the title if it was a Houston board. If it’s “Texas,” adding the name of the city seems to be required.

I had lunch at Lupe Tortillas on the Katy Freeway at Echo last week and I want to say it was excellent.

I had a tipico Tex-Mex combo with cheese enchilada, (good), tamal with ancho sauce, (excellent), crispy taco, (very good), and rice, (good) and refried beans, (a bit loose, but the flavor was among the best I’ve ever had - really really good).

Additionally, with the basket of chips, they serve a bowl of red salsa that was excellent, and a bowl of charro beans which were good with a fork, but a bit odd for dipping chips.

All in all, a very pleasant lunch.

Congrats to the Sox. The 'Stros just had some nagging aches and just plain bad luck.

Next year.

1 Like

Next time try the original Lupe, it’s so much better than the franchises.

We went to one in Austin and was not impressed but it was on the Wifeacita’s per diem so that took some sting out of it. The original is outside Beltway 8 so it’s a very tough call.

It’s also sometimes hard to get into. There’s a line when they open for dinner at least on fri and sat nights. People with children.