House of Chong, Middletown, NJ

Xiao Long Bob!!

3 Likes

Hope that translates to: “Bob with the big noodle”.

4 Likes

This. Is. PERFECT.

1 Like

Subscribe to @NotJrvedivici’s onlyfans everybody!!

3 Likes

My. Goodness. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What’s for Dinner #73 - School’s Back In! Edition - September 2021 - Cooking Discussions / Cooking, Cookbooks, Ingredients - Hungry Onion

2 Likes

When I was a kid my family used to go to the one in Brick all the time. Didn’t know it was the same owners.

2 Likes

Now that Little Szechuan seems to be no more, I’ve really grown on House of Chong. The place reminds me of the old school Chinese restaurant in A Christmas Story, all that’s missing is the duck! Lol

Great as always!

Delicious eggplant stuffed with shrimp in a black bean sauce. Fantastic!

Chicken in garlic sauce. Great!

12 Likes

I’m new to the site, but not the scene. This thread prompted me to comment. Just based on @gcaggiano review alone, I am looking forward to taking my family to House of Chong.

I am old enough to remember the Islander Polynesian Restaurant in Matawan, that was a special treat for my family when I was a kid. We’d always get the PuPu platter, which was amazing, and was usually accompanied with the typical chuckles from my brothers and I (“Dad said poo poo!”).

I tell my daughters - who are now college-age adults - the stories, which are steeped in lore for them. It was a different era, something I am nostalgic for and something I want them to experience.

I will be taking them to House Of Chong very soon. Thank you so much for rekindling memories and congratulate to the Chong family for keeping it going so long!!

9 Likes

Welcome to Hungry Onion!

3 Likes

Good move listening to @gcaggiano the kid won’t steer you wrong. Just never invite him out, he’s nothing but a tease.

6 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Glad to have you and your taste buds here with us! Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome! Please share your food pics when you do visit!

HOC is stuck in time, and that is why I love the place. Some places manage to be old and dirty. Others manage to be old and put you in a time machine. HOC is the latter.

2 Likes

So my family went to House of Chong for Father’s Day and it was a very enjoyable experience. We went a little early, around 6:00pm, and the business inside was brisk - not crowded, not empty. They seemed to be doing a good volume of takeout business.

The place reminded me of my childhood. Not far off from a place like Richard Yes’s in Brooklyn, red vinyl seats, mirrors, etc.

The plates had ornate symbols in a dark red color, just like when we’d go to literally any Chinese restaurant back in the 70’s.

Our waiter was a delightful, friendly person. I’m very talkative and friendly, so we had a pleasant interaction with each other.

We ordered the Pu Pu platter for 4 (the waiter was surprised, but we didn’t realize how much food would come with it), and each of us ordered a combination dinner that had entree, soup, egg roll, and fried rice.

The food was excellent. Not the same as (say) Peking Pavilion (which is outstanding), but far better than any generic local place to me. I’d say excellent by today’s standards and I would absolutely go here again. If it were a little closer, this would be my “go to” place for takeout.

It’s worth dining in if you value the experience. I wouldn’t change the decor one bit, it was charming and familiar. We loved it here - definitely recommend it!

5 Likes

Sounds about right to me!! Glad you enjoyed!

1 Like

Some sad news:

https://claytonmcgirrfh.funeraltechweb.com/tribute/details/4673/Daniel-Chong/obituary.html#tribute-start

2 Likes

My condolences to the family. I’m assuming he hasn’t been active in Middletown for some time, unless in the kitchen. I’ve never seen him on location, only who I assume is his son, whom I think you know personally?

1 Like

I’ve seen Mr. Chong at the restaurant once or twice, but that was pre-Covid. And yes, I know Danny Chong personally. In my chats with him both personally and professionally for my blog, he had nothing but pure reverence for his dad. One of the first “big” Chinese restaurateurs in Monmouth County.

3 Likes