Honolulu Recommendations

I would’ve recommended Town, but it permanently closed pretty recently. It’s funny that, even though I don’t agree with Sasha about Oahu’s lack of food cred., my experiences at 3660 On the Rise could be used to support his claim. Several of the long standing restaurants, like this one, didn’t impress me because I thought that the dishes were overwrought with too many ingredients and also relied on sweetness instead of depth. We ate there several times, a couple of years apart each time, hoping for better but not getting it. Same with Roy’s. Town wasn’t like that, nor was Alan Wong’s &, unfortunately, both are now gone. I think that Ed Kenney (owner of Town) owns a couple of other places, including one on Lewers (Mahina & Suns?), so maybe that’d be worth a shot. Haven’t been, so cant say. I’d also second js76wisco’s recommendation of a trek out to Helena’s https://www.helenashawaiianfood.com/index.html one of my favorite stops every time we’re on Oahu. Solid home cooking at prices that enable you to almost order one of everything and enjoy every bite.

6 Likes

Thanks for the information, it’s appreciated.

And, if you’re touristing around the downtown Honolulu area, stop by Tamashiro’s: http://tamashiromarket.com/about.html

2 Likes

in general, my food opinions tens to align with steve’s: i’m from nyc and think honolulu is a great, underrated food city. we avoid high end restaurants in favor of poke shacks, grindz and joints like side street.

3 Likes

To all who recommend the food court at the mall.
Thanks but no thanks a claustrophobic cluster of uninteresting vendors to someone who lives in nyc & travels extensively.
I appreciated your input but thanks but no thanks.
I moved onto to a local BBQ joint

1 Like

Leonard’s bakery’s malasada’s are good.
If you have been to Belem in Portugal eating nata’s Will change your life.
Leonard’s pastries are merely zeppoles, not life changing. I will admit the cream filled ones are well worth the wait though.

1 Like

The malasada’s were great but I don’t understand the hype.
Just Zeppoles not as spectacular as Portuguese Nata’s

1 Like

I didn’t try Leonard’s, but I enjoyed trying malasadas and ensaymadas (will check on that spelling) at small bakeries on Maui and Kauai.

Comparing malasadas to pasteis de nata is comparing apples to oranges. Lol.

I can see someone liking a custard tart more than a donut or a zeppole, or vice versa.

Would recommend trying both pastries from several bakeries, to compare, but that’s me!

2 Likes

So just bouncing around Waikiki on a Friday night stopped into Tommy Bahama store for some shopping.
They have a restaurant & lounge too! We decided to go upstairs & long story, short had a great meal.
Mahi Mahi dish & a shrimp & scallops dish. Excellent presentation & great fresh seafood. Hey who knew eating over a store could be so good.

1 Like

My friend likes the cocktails at the Tommy Bahama bar in Wailea on Maui

1 Like

Never knew that Tommy Bahama had restaurants

Nice one in Midtown Manhattan above their store.

Really? Guess I am not a big Tommy Bahama fan.