[Hong Kong] Trip Planning

Thanks. No way we could finish this plate even without greens and rice.

We tried to wash it down with some large bottles of hay lick (San Miguel). To no avail.

We hadn’t heard of Overlord Duck before. Here’s the quick research product from duckduckgo.com"

https://yumtablehk.wordpress.com/tag/eight-treasures-duck/

Thanks for your link.

In Presunto’s magazine’s link:

Overlord’s duck At Fook Lam Moon, grain-fed ducks are used for this dish of boned, stuffed duck. The birds are tunnel-boned - the frame removed through a small incision in the neck without having to slice the duck down the chest, and the bones in the thighs and wings kept intact. Through this small opening the duck is stuffed with lotus seeds, lotus bulbs, glutinous rice, dried shiitake mushrooms, ginkgo nuts and salted egg yolk. The bird is quickly deep-fried to brown the skin, then slow-cooked in a soy-based sauce for about two hours.

Eight-treasure duck A classic banquet dish said to have been popular since the Qing Dynasty. This is similar to overlord’s duck in that it is also stuffed and braised, but differs in two main ways. First, barley rather than glutinous rice makes up the bulk of the stuffing. Second, the whole duck is used, bones in. The bird is cut open at the chest, stuffed with the various ingredients, and sewn back up before it is deep-fried, then braised in soy sauce and sugar.

The cooking takes about two hours, with another hour or so for preparation, so it needs to be ordered ahead in most restaurants. At Fook Lam Moon, however, it’s so popular that it’s always on the menu.

On the menu of FLM, both dishes are side by side, which is something I don’t quite understand.

From the photo FLM’s version has bones. Unlike the Lin Heung Kui’s boneless Overload Duck.

1 Like

Is it possible to bring tofu and “fish” into HK? I know you can’t bring most foods into HK but I coudn’t find anything about tofu and bonito. Really want to bring home a few Okinawan foods such as fermented bean curd and bonito shavings.

Okinawan fermented bean curd is very nice. Looks like Chinese version but tastes different, like cheese drenched in alcohol. And dried bonito is another speciality of Okinawa and of the highest quality. FYI, Okinawans consume the most dried bonito in all of Japan.

I don’t think normal food is prohibited, except maybe raw meat.

In practice, HK customs have never shown interest in my luggage…

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll take my chances.

Also, I don’t remember seeing sniffer dogs in the baggage pick-up area.

I asked an acquaintance who lives here and she said the same thing. No problem at all if you are not bringing fresh agricultural products and raw meat. There are brochures and big signs by security in Japan.

I have seaweed, dried bonito, fermented tofu to take home. Also got several t-shirts in Okinawa so no more room in my little bag for HK stuff.

Good to be back in HK. This sensory overload is a big shock to the system after more than 2 weeks on some sparsely populated islands where I hardly saw a face all day.