[Hong Kong] Tasting Court 天一閣. Outstanding traditional Cantonese banquet

I was able to ask to substitute dishes before or add them. They don’t do a lot of desserts though last I recall.

Note, I just based all my dishes selection off of @Peech’s blog and cobbled together something that seemed interesting.

Are you eating there this time? What’s your menu?

Yeah that’s what I did last time as well- cobbled a tasting together based on what I was interested. I am sure you can still do that. The menu probably just help them simplify the preordering

Yes, I did eat there this time around and here’s the final menu:

椒香炒蜆

西班牙黑毛豬叉燒

狀元紅燉鳳吞鴿

白玉紅蟳釀金盞

隋王斬肉

原隻蛋白海鹽焗雞

鴨汁扣巨花菰

薑汁炒芥蘭

蝦籽蝦油蔥油拌麵

椰汁棗茸糕

陳皮紅豆沙

每位$968+10% service charge x 5 due to the number of people.

I’ll eventually dig up photos and do a proper rundown but until then!

They actually have a set menu but they don’t do that many dishes. We were talking with the manager and he mentioned that the owner of Tasting Court is the son of one of The Chairman’s staff. He doesn’t quite have the cooking skills to pull off certain dishes, but he has a very skillful tongue. Pretty much able to discern and see what the cook might have missed when cooking.

All in all, I’d definitely come back haha. Might try a steamed fish here and hopefully it’ll be less costly than the Chairman.

I remember that sauce and tried recreating it with ginger and scallions in a vita mix. (1:3 ratio) and around 1.25 cup of oil with some salt…

I think I used way too much oil and was a bit heavy handed there. Its… like a weird chimichurri. Gotta attempt a few more times… Maybe blend the oil as well? But I’m afraid hot oil would destroy the container… Hrm…

Ah! Here’s what I think I’ll be attempting in the future.

A. blend ginger/scallions in vitamix/food prep.
B. Add oil and salt, but not that much oil, maybe 0.5 cups? for a 6oz:2oz ratio of Scallion/Ginger.
C. After adding scalding hot oil to scallion/ginger blend in another bowl, whip out the hand blender and mush everything to a better blend.

I just used the hand blender earlier and it emulsifies things okay, but the oil still separates out eventually. Think there’s too much oil as well :confused: Alas. Still pretty good th ough

3 Likes