Hong Kong Flower Lounge [Milbrae]

Haha, though if you want to check out a cool view. Grand Harbor has a pretty awesome one to watch the planes land right near the bay. I haven’t tried dim sum there in quite a while, but my folks have said they improved (to how far, I don’t know…). Dinner’s on the pricey end (more than HK FL)

Ha, I recall my friends tend to run towards the In and Out.

Noted. A long time ago, on top of a Burlingame office building overlooking the lagoon on the Runway 28 approach, Kee Joon featured high end cooking and view.

Haven’t eaten at either one, sorry. HKFL’s sai yun was better than the Koi/Dublin location.

Thanks for the review. I am actually visiting SF right now. In my opinion, Hong Kong Flower Lounge wasn’t its former self. It was considered a very well established restaurant 15-20 years ago. I think the quality has gone downhill since I last tried them.

I consider Koi Palace and Tai Wu better than Hong Kong Flower Lounge now.

I think they’ve gotten a little worse after Mayflower purchased the establishment though I honestly haven’t eaten there all that much. Yeah, I think KP and Tai Wu does a better overall meal as well. I haven’t tried the Kitchen after their remodel either

My opinion is that the Kitchen is excellent at many regular dishes (small fry/小炒), and of course, it opens up to 1AM (I think), so it is great for people who want late night snacks.

By the way, did you have this type of fish?

rock cod

On my recipe, it is listed as Rock Cod. However, I don’t believe that is the proper name. I believe these are brown marble grouper (classified within grouper/石斑)

Wikipedia states: “Many other fish are sometimes referred to as rock cod, but most are unrelated to the cod family, and are better known as groupers.”

Those look like rockfish. I’m not sure which species - maybe gopher rockfish? Rockfish are the most common bottom fish along the coast here, and several species are sold locally as “rock cod” or “Pacific red snapper”. Market names are unregulated and often misleading, so should be taken with a grain of sea salt.

I looked at the wikipedia article that you referenced. It’s written about an Australian fish, although it (incorrectly, I think) says that the same species is found in California. The photo on that page doesn’t look very much like yours.

Rockfish are not cod, not are they groupers. Groupers are in the bass family (Serranidae), rockfish are in the scorpionfish family (Scorpaenidae).

Thinking back, I think the waiter actualy called it in Cantonese the mouse grouper? Though … at this point, they all look the same to me… lol.

1 Like

Got it. Thanks. Humpback grouper (老鼠斑) then. Good choice.

Your empress clam/concubine clam (is it? 貴妃蚌? (if you know Chinese)) look nice. The ong choy with fermented bean curd looks great too.

Oh yeah it was a good fish to eat. I think the meat has a nice mm… suppleness? I think the texture of the east star grouper is better but not at that price point (why in the world is it that expensive?).

Yeah they do a fairly good job (just feels a little routine) with the empress/concubine clams. I really can’t complain about dinner, just the who restaurant seems to need a little touch up or a make over now (just seems dirtier now)

I know what you mean. Even two years ago, I was thinking that it needs a touch up. On the other hand, they may have done the calculation that even with a new decoration wouldn’t bring enough business back.

I think all fishes (most anyway) can be enjoyed differently. Sometime it is nice to have an expensive fish, but sometime a lesser expensive striped bass (銀花鱸魚) and marble goby (荀殼) are good too. Maybe I will give Hong Kong Mayflower a try next time. I used to grow up in that area. At the time, Hong Kong Mayflower and Fook Yuen (馥苑) were the kings of Cantonese restaurants. Thanks for your review.

I’m trying to recall, but where exactly was Fook Yuen located? Is it that hot pot place now?

I just had fond memories of Harbor Village when I was growing up.

But yeah, each fish has a distinctive good point! I just tend to avoid the really large fish in fear they are just too “tough”.

You are right. Big fish can get rough, but only some fishes suffer this.
Yeah, Fook Yuen used to be the same location as that hot pot place. I don’t know if I know Harbor Village. Is it walking distance on El Camino just like Fook Yuen. I may know which one if it is 1 min walking distance.

Ah, that makes sense. I do recall going to Fook Yuen, but that was a long… time ago haha.

Oh, and Harbor Village was in SF

Perhaps I should give them a try during dinner some time. I was scarred by a really subpar dim sum lunch a few years ago that I still haven’t mustered up any desire to go again.

I had Cooking Papa’s version before, and it was fine. Perhaps because of my general disinterest in sweet stuff, I didn’t quite understand the accolades showered upon their egg puffs.

1 Like

I see. In that case, I may not have eaten at Harbor Village. Thanks for the information.

Well, everyone has a different expectation. I personally love Koi Palace, but some people hate it. I love the Char Siu Bao (Steamed pork bun) there.

I thought the dim sum at the Kitchen are ok (I ate there 1-2 years ago, but not this trip). The Kitchen certainly specialize small fry dishes and late night snack, which is the reason it is opened until 2 AM. Compared to Koi Palace and Tai Wu, The Kitchen is a faster pace and louder restaurant.

I was so happy to see the split pea coconut milk desert (馬豆糕) at The Kitchen. it is closest to what I remember when I was a little kid. Tai Wu and other restaurant (a few place in NY City) also has it too, but their version has like mixed stuff.

(Image from internet, not from The Kitchen)

1 Like

Harbor Village was always at the head of the class and everyone’s first choice destination.

1 Like

As I recall, Harbor Village was in Embarcadero 3. Part of which is now the Crystal Jade space.

We visited regularly for our frequent “company meetings”. :wink: