Homemade Peasant bread, 2 round loaves in 3 hrs.

Thanks to a post on Food Talk Central, from @Happybaker, I was reminded I wanted to try the recipe.

Made it yesterday, with no modifications, and baked in a 9X13, well-oiled, glass pan.

Fresh out of the oven:

Upside down on the cooling rack:

Right side up:

And a slab sliced off:

Verdict: was a breeze to make and the results are marvelous. Am looking forward to experimenting with the base recipe and guidelines.

Has anyone used the cookbook that grew out of this recipe?

9 Likes

Looks good!

2 Likes

Yes, I have used Bread Toast Crumbs and there is a thread about it on Chowhound, too. The results don’t look pretty, but like you experienced, it tastes good and the texture is good, too. When I first made it, I was being snobby, but my family finished it right away and I eventually came around.

4 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

I have an ecopy of her book but haven’t used many of this other recipes. I do plan to bake bread on the next tour bus just to see how it works out.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this recipe. Tried making it tonight and had very good results. I used bread flour instead of AP. Very moist crumb and crispy buttery crust. Very easy to make too.

4 Likes

This caught my eye. @Rooster, any food that you are cooking on the road sounds like it deserves a series like Greatest Hits of the Tour Bus. Impressed!

2 Likes

Thanks for showing the process, now I want to make one too! I’m seduced by this version.

5 Likes

Haven’t had the opportunity to try yet. I miss baking bread…too busy making $ kinda bread at the moment​:grin::wink:.

R

1 Like