Holiday Treats 2022

Enjoyed all your photos and memories.

Final pie ranking for our thanksgiving

1 apple pie. I used a ton of cinnamon and the crust was flaky. Advantage just being my favorite pie flavor.

2 honey pie. Never tasted one before. It was like salted caramel.

3 pecan. Not too sweet. Chocolate rum.

4 pumpkin. Really they are all winners. But this is important work that needs to happen.

Any unexpected winners in your thanksgiving ?

My buddy’s son made a killer chocolate mousse. Filled in any remaining spaces.

Sorry meant this for the other main thanksgiving topic cheers!

3 Likes

Do you mean these? I just finished baking off the second half of the dough for these; the flavor difference after a few days’ rest in the fridge is intense!

All these Thanksgiving threads are getting a bit confusing aren’t they.:slightly_smiling_face:

No calories

1 Like

Brown butter ricotta cookies.

I made the dough last week and baked a single tray of them as a test, then stuck the rest of the dough in the fridge for a few days. The remainder baked up even better. This is going into my cookie box this year for sure. Thanks to @Shellybean for the pointer to the recipe!

IMG_0692

11 Likes

I just sprang for Calabro at WF in order to make these … feel certain I’ll love them!

1 Like

So, I double-checked my on-hand ingredients against the list for the recipes I’ve planned, and went shopping this morning for more butter (if I make as many batches of everything as I think I will - 11 POUNDS of butter total - good thing these are going to 12 families…), eggs (24) and cream cheese (48 oz - 6 bars).

We’ve got snow forecast for Tues/Weds – baking begins!

7 Likes

My urge to buy five-pound-bags of flour and sugar is overwhelming.

2 Likes

I think this is going to be one of my 2023 Deepavali treats (since it has no eggs).
I followed the link you posted and one of the commenters added a little rolled oats to the mix to get adjacent to a Scandinavian cookie, and loved the results. I think I will do that, and maybe add something to the flavouring beyond vanilla (e.g. cardamom or ginger or citrus).
Do you think we can use ghee instead of browned butter?

1 Like

The entire flavor of this cookie is browned butter. So, no.

2 Likes

For people who like spice cookies, my cousin is happy with this recipe.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CljMi9QM_Tm/

1 Like

I love this photo…it says it all!

1 Like

@Rasam is it possible to brown ghee gently to get a nuttier flavour, or does it not work with ghee/ clarified butter?

I have never tried to brown ghee further, so I don’t know. I am not sure that browning ghee would work, because according to what I read, we strain off the milk solids from ghee, but they are retained in brown butter. So the flavour profile would be different even if ghee is browned.

2 Likes

Do you make your own ghee? Then i think you can use it, because when I turn butter into ghee I often end up over cooking it to “caramelized” which is basically brown butter (albeit strained).

If you buy your ghee, then the browned flavor will be missing.

1 Like

I sometimes make, sometimes buy. When I make, I often ‘go over’ and the ghee turns brown. I have not tried to brown already made ghee.
But it’s the absence of milk solids in ghee that will likely change the taste as compared to brown butter where the solids are retained.
I will prolly just make the brown butter.

1 Like

@Miss_belle - Based on your comment I tried 1/3 of a cream wafer recipe as slice & bake, still sugar coated before baking, with a very-well-chilled log. That worked OK but I made the unfortunate mistake of crowding them all on one rimmed baking sheet, thinking they wouldn’t rise/spread. Turns out they need to be removed one by one, very gently, and I didn’t have space for my spatula to get between them easily. About 50% broken – those will get “sandwiched” with the filling and an unbroken one and placed in the “for us” tray. I’ll try again - it will be a major time saver if I don’t have to use a rolling pin and cutout each cookie. Thanks for the “trust but verify” nudge.

1 Like

Additional hints for the Cardamom Toast Biscotti - As you get ready for second bake, you can reused the sheet from first bake as one of the two you need, but be sure to clear off crumbs before laying pieces flat, and watch for the pieces on the warm sheet to brown faster during second bake.

I get 18-20 slices per “loaf”, so about 3 dozen pieces per batch.

2 Likes

Yes, I go through about 8 or 9 lbs of butter over the holidays: if only it wasn’t so expensive!!

2 Likes

My butter price per pound ranged from $1.99 (super “member” special - limit 1 per day - at grocery; I made multiple trips that week) to $3.75 (Costco - in 4 pound bundle), to $4.99 (w/coupon, must buy 2 pounds)

2 Likes