Holiday Treats 2022

This sounds great. Have you made it before?

That shortbread is a work of art!

3 Likes

Thank you! I can’t take credit - it’s all about the pan.

2 Likes

Looking at your picture, I think the reason I’ve been having so much trouble cutting mine, even with a serrated knife, is because I have too much stuff in them. With my next batch I’ll reduce the quantity of nuts.

It might help also to chop them down a bit before adding. I chop the cranberries pretty finely, and the pistachios roughly.

No, but the other week I made his (similar) lasagne bolognese and I loved it.

1 Like

A treat box for a friend:

Smitten Kitchen’s Union Square Cafe spiced bar nuts
A mini Cranberry Spice bundt, made with leftover batter in a Nordic Ware cakelet pan
A little pile of oatmeal raisin and Tollhouse chocolate chip

xmas treats

17 Likes

Perfect

1 Like

Spritz cookies and more spritz cookies. My family has requested that I only make their favorite cookie…so mountains of these get made.
Merry Christmas everyone!

15 Likes

@Sasha Hoaks Restaurant in Hamburg, NY

3 Likes

WHOA that’s amazing.

1 Like

Wow!

1 Like

OMG!! And the news crew was out in that? I hope the footage was taken by drone.

Follow-up: I made both the slow-cooked bolognese I mentioned upthread, as well as a chili crisp fettucine alfredo.

The bolognese was good but I am not sure good enough to merit the cost or labor, both of which were considerable. The chili crisp fettucine was different, at least, and you could modulate the amount of heat by adding more at the table, which makes it a nicely versatile dish.

NOTE TO SELF: don’t make two different kinds of noodles at the same time. You’re not a short-order cook. Just make one noodle, two sauces :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wonderful - do you use one recipe for all shapes, or various versions? What’s your recipe?

I dare not change the recipe!
300g. Gold Medal AP
145 g granulated sugar
227 g sweet butter
1 egg
1 t. Vanilla
1/2t almond
Mix granulated sugar and cool room temperature butter in processor until combined.
Add in beaten egg and flavorings and mix well.
Add flour in several batches just until incorporated. Bake at 400*, I use convection bake on Silpat on heavy weight cookie sheets for about ten minutes.
These are very thin cookies that are not stamped out, I have a hand controlled augur type cookie gun no longer made by Ateco. I usually double this amount and make in mixer. Keep dough in a coolish area while working with it. The secret is the thinness of the cookie.
Happy Holidays!
ETA… I used to use multicolored sugars, sprinkles, wreath shapes and candy cane shapes dipped in chocolate, etc. but the preference was mostly for the chocolate versions.

3 Likes

Have you used a recipe you liked better than his?

For lasagne? No.

1 Like

Didn’t look like a drone video to me. It looked like a very treacherous walk by the person behind the camera.

If I invest time making a bolognese sauce, I use Marcella Hazan’s recipe. And on the plus side, it does not use expensive ingredients. Time is the precious substance.

5 Likes