Ho ho ho SFBA 2017 Holiday thread

Thanks, Oliver. He made the classic
PNW trip with added Chocolate emphasis and he stopped here at Lilliebelle. :smiley:

1 Like

I think there was a NW Chocolate Festival going on at the time.

Yes. I read all his posts. My mother used to say Oregon looks just like Scotland too. Thanks!

1 Like

I ate a sufganiyot from Taboon and liked it a lot. Airy and a little chewy. Jelly filling tasted like a good strawberry jam and not overly sweet. Also had a bagel sprinkled with za’atar that was very good. Very friendly service.

I wonder if the cafe at JCCSF have sufganiyot these days?

Your description is spot on! In terms of sweetness, texture, and filling to dough ratio, these are the antithesis of Krispy Kreme’s.

I was intimidated by its size, thinking it would be a calorie bomb, but it compresses quite a bit and there’s a bite to it without it being tough. There’s jelly on the top, and in a small pocket inside, delicious as hell, but not as plentiful as I would hope. I tend to like my doughnuts sweeter than this, but I imagine the minimal sweetness will have its fans.

I pre-ordered a bunch for the weekend (they are not open on Saturday). I have family that don’t eat dairy, so was pleased to learn that these are parve (no meat or dairy, and they said it doesn’t use eggs either).

Tom & Jerry (traditional xmas drink) at PCH in SF

Only until Dec 24th
If you only have one drink this year, this should be it

Christmas Day today in Berkeley: we skipped the crowds at the local dim sum palaces in Richmond and Alameda, and at China Village, and had a great lunch at Sichuan Style/King Tsin on Solano. There were lots of tables available, and they take reservations. The 1000 chili fish filet soup was just the thing for this chilly day.

Cheers and a holly jolly Christmas to all!

2 Likes

what is in it?

Same to you!

i tried the Dresdner Christstollen (i picked it up at Ales Unlimited in SF but it’s also available on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01830WRN6?psc=1) Very nice, buttery and not dry