[Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam] Amazing Coffee and Cheese Coffee

Am just going to do a little recap of a couple of cafes we liked in HCMC.

Amazing Coffee (address: 51-53 Đ. Bùi Thị Xuân, Phường Phạm Ngũ Lão, Quận 1): My son and I went to this place several times for the passion fruit blended ice and coffee blended ice drinks (I think they were priced at 49k Dong). The decor was cool and there was free WiFi. Really nice place to hang out in. Order and pay at the counter and they bring your drinks to your table. There is a sort of area for live music but we didn’t catch any during our visits.

Cheese Coffee (address: 53G Đ. Nguyễn Du, Bến Nghé, Quận 1: other locations across HCMC): We hung out here while waiting for our car to the airport. I think it’s a chain. Weird name though. They did have cheese coffee on the menu but we didn’t try it (the staff couldn’t explain to us what exactly it was). We did have iced coffee, a fruit cooler, a tiramisu themed mooncake, a pork floss bun and a slice of mango and passion fruit cake. Everything was excellent and looked beautiful. I especially liked the detail where the ice cubes in the coffee were a combination of frozen black coffee and frozen condensed milk - so cool and makes sense as the melting doesn’t dilute the drink.

We also went to the Vietnam equivalent of Starbucks, Highlands Coffee. The shops are everywhere. Coffee is OK. Cakes are OK. They have interesting mooncake flavours during the season, but I didn’t get a chance to try any. I think they only sell them as gift boxes.

10 Likes

Nice posts! I was in Vietnam a few years ago (2019) and remember the excellent coffee, usually I’d take ice coffee with some coconut. Was really good!

4 Likes

Thanks! I love the coffee culture in Vietnam. I’m sure the cities there have more coffee shops per square mile than Italy!

2 Likes

I see that you travel for work. Are you able to take some time off and visit other places? I really liked Da Nang and Hoi An. Had some terrific food there.

2 Likes

I was about to ask @medgirl the same - if she can take a bit of time off work and see other parts of Vietnam.

I was in Hue in Feb/Mar 2020, pre-COVID. Amazing gastronomic city.

3 Likes

Thanks damiano and klyeoh. Hue, Hoi An and Da Nang are certainly on my list to visit with I next go to Vietnam (hopefully next year). I get weekends off from teaching, which is nice for doing short breaks.

1 Like

seems a clever idea --" ice" cubes of frozen coffee and frozen condensed milk, so that melting doesn’t dilute the iced coffee drink!

1 Like

I remembered the first time I was at a Highlands Coffee outlet in Ho Chi Minh City - it was back in 2005. I snapped this pic as I chose an al fresco table for us, whilst my German colleague popped in to order at the counter.

Everything was much better than what we expected to find there then. And HCMC has progressed so much ever since then.

4 Likes