High Protein, Low Carb, Vegan Ideas?

Any flavors you particularly like? I think I’ll buy them from a store so I can try a variety (was looking on Amazon and really don’t want to buy $30.00 worth without knowing which ones work for me).

However, I did order some dry-roasted edamame - just sea salt seasoning, though. Do you recall the name of the ones you like?

It was interesting, because when I talked with my GP, she said she’d had the same problem when she went vegan (she’s now vegetarian): the weight gain and blood sugars.

Unfortunately, I’m part of an HMO that doesn’t offer any sort of dietary counseling (my GP was rather upset about this, too, and apologetic), but I do have a friend who’s a registered dietician; I’ve been avoiding asking her for guidance because of not wanting to take advantage of the friendship. I should see if she’d be willing to give me some pointers in exchange for a donation to a charity of her choice or something along those lines.

Usually whole foods has those sold individually, definitely try a few flavors- just stay away from the one with lime! Blech. The thai peanut, teriyaki, and bbq are all yummy.

I’ve been ordering this black dry roasted edamame lately, (screen shot here) the rice coating is like what is on wasabi peas! Love these just as is. The plain dry roasted edamame is great on salads or just as is as a crunchy something that isn’t nuts. Sea points farm is easy for me to find but i know there are a lot of brands out there now.

Yes, that sounds like a great idea. In my experience dietitians are very devoted to what they do and like to see other people healthy.

I temporarily did a version of the Esseltyn diet and lost quite bit of weight – but it is utterly impractical for me living in Italy because it calls for so many specialty foods to boost proteins and get access to some vitamins. I therefore do eat fish/seafoods and one or two meat meals a week, but you might take a look at the Esseltyn diet to see if any of its elements give you ideas for boosting protein.

1 Like

Thank you all for the ideas and guidance.

I’ve been eating a lot of tofu-based proteins (and edamame, which I love!). And a fair amount of salads with such dumped on top. (I’m not a great salad composer, but they’re edible and that’s good by me.)

I found some of the Primal Strips vegan jerky at Sprouts: liked the Hickory, Texas BBQ, and Hot & Spicy, so these will be purchased again.

1 Like

Glad you like the primal strips!
For salads hemp seeds are great, and in 2-3TB there’s about 10g protein as well as lots of other nutrients. I usually buy them online from iherb or jet for the best price, if you haven’t tried them before look at natural food stores for bulk bins. And of course nutritional yeast is awesome for so many reasons, but adding just 2TB to a salad gives you another 8g protein and just 45cal.

1 Like

What do hemp seeds taste like? (I don’t think I’ve ever eaten them before.) And I’ve no experience with nutritional yeast, either - going to read up on that, now.

Hhm. Hemp seeds are like a cross between sunflower seeds and sesame seeds but with a less distinctive flavor. They work great for pesto actually.

Nutritional yeast is a love it or hate it thing, some say it tastes “cheesey”, and maybe it’s somehow reminiscent of an aged cheese… As an ingredient in sauces or recipes it acts like mushroom powder or miso to give that complexity and umami kick that you can’t quite identify.

Both ingredients are really nutritionally dense on top of being high in protein and fiber, really easy to add either to lots of different foods and recipes

2 Likes

I’m currently eating popcorn with nutritional yeast sprinkled on it. My favourite snack !

3 Likes

I’m not sure about other stores, but the Hy-Vee chain in my area has dietitians that will point you towards foods that work with your diet. If Whole Foods doesn’t offer this check with a major grocery chain in your area that does a good job on the organic/‘natural’ front.

1 Like

Try Bryanna Clark Grogan’s recipe using tofu sheets to make mock roast duck. http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2006/07/buddhas-roast-duck-with-yuba.html

MT’s recipe for eggplant meatballs ( meatless)

1 Like

prepare basic chia pudding then add Soom chocolate tahini halva spread stirred in . it is outstanding.

my basic, mix
1/2 cups oat milk
2 T chia seeds
stir, refrig overnight
drizzle in spread when ready to enjoy.

1 Like

Hi Elsie,
There are few healthy dishes . Hope you will like them:slightly_smiling_face:

Tahini
Hummus
Mudda Bhaji

Foodiezhive