Help me narrow my shortlist please. (NYC)

The later the better for lingering. Monday better than Sunday.

If you want modern take on food and good wine, look at Chambers. Took over the old Racine space and brought along much of the old crew.

Claud is excellent.

Definitely less for lunch since less people will be drinking

Yes

Thank you all for the advice. La Vara wasn’t on my radar but sounds good, so I’m going to book that. It looks like an easy reservation to get too.

For Italian, depending on what kind of Italian you prefer, my favorites are Piccolo Angolo (go on a weekday and it shouldn’t be too crowded or noisy), Portale, Sotto 13, Le Zie and Gnocco. Via Carota is annoying because you can’t reserve, and it will probably be rushed. Forget Lupa, it’s gone downhill.

Casa Mono is a must. Best tapas anywhere. Be sure to get the razor clams. We always have 2 orders of those.

2 Likes

Rrems: Good to find you here; fellow ex-Chowhounder.

Some places mentioned, above, are among my favorites, like Casa Mono for the navajas, and for their chicory salad, among other dishes; Rezdora for the antipasti and pastas; Marea, although I’ve not been since White left, it used to be among my favorite “fancy” places. And I really, really liked La Vara.

Didn’t realize the change. We were there a few months back and it had slipped badly (although dessert was good).

1 Like