Heated patios in Toronto, Winter season Nov 2022- April 2023, especially when it’s below 10 ° C

Thanks, Googs. I only had one meal at F’Amelia, before the David Byrne concert in 2018, and it was also just okay.

I still haven’t been to Dova, or Ardo. Darn pandemic got in the way of trying many places. I was a fan of Rob Marotta’s cooking at Nodo when it first opened.

1 Like

F’Amelia is good, but not impressive. I wouldn’t go out of the way for it. But it is walking distance for us and their patio stays open later than some. Dova is definitely way better. I think the patio could hold at least 30-40 by my memory of it. But it won’t be open again until warmer weather.

1 Like

I noticed that Shenanigans (although closed until Spring) has a notice saying they will still open for buyouts (not sure if that’s everything, or will just rent out the patio). Details from
Phone: [(416) 364-1211]

[events@oliverbonacini.com]

1 Like

Thank you!

My HO DC and I tried Bar Neon last night. Good news, the ventilation is very good.

The server was well-intentioned and friendly.

The cocktails are good, $17 is the going rate at these hipster places.

The food was okay . That’s polite for not that great, or don’t go out of your way for the food unless you need food on a ventilated patio. I’d say the food was equivalent to food at The Pilot or at Hemingway’s.

I am going to say, while the owners are Greek, there isn’t a Greek in the kitchen, or there isn’t a non-Greek with enough Knowledge of Greek Food, working in the kitchen doing quality control.

Quite a few Greek restaurant kitchens on the Danforth and elsewhere in Toronto have non-Greeks doing 99 percent of the prep and cooking, and they get the flavours right. This kitchen isn’t getting the flavours right.

I was surprised the food wasn’t better, because the food at the same owners’ Café Neon brunch in 2019 had always been good in my experience. I had brunch at Café Neon a few times in 2019.

The horiatiki is lame. I may sound harsh. I can find better tomatoes at Metro myself. Very sad winter tomatoes. I yanked the server’s chain a little, asking if they were good tomatoes. She said she would check. I said we would go ahead and I’d let her know. Well, they were sad pink mealy tomatoes. Skimpy on feta. Skimpy on their sad tomatoes. (If you accidentally buy sad tomatoes, fry them or roast them.)

Gigantes were a small portion and decent but lacking herbs like dill or mint, loukaniko , which tasted good, was barely grilled and a little still cold inside. If you like Gigantes, the canned Gigantes (around $4 a can, at many supermarkets), with a little fresh dill added, taste a little better than this version.

There are modern Greek fusion type items on the menu. The smoked turkey kale bechamel pizza was quite good.

So, in a nutshell, good cocktails and good ventilation, go here for pizza or pub food if you need a ventilated space.

Get Greek takeout (or dine in if you’re comfortable) from the Danforth, Mamakas, Koukla, Volos, Petros or the Myth if you want Greek food!
Ventilation gap between plastic sheet and roof

A photo of the patio space.

The entry from the back alley north of Bloor.

Sign from Bloor. The Bar Neon indoor restaurant is quite packed from the Bloor entrance. It’s possible to enter the patio from the back alley north of Bloor.

The menu

The servers were really nice. This place could be so much better if the owner and management put a little more effort into training the kitchen and quality control.

2 Likes

Driving down Ossington yesterday, I noticed that the patio at Bellwoods Brewery is open, fully exposed to the elements with heaters. Although I have picked up their beer, I haven’t eaten there since pre-pandemic. I remember the food being pretty good, though not superlative.

1 Like

By The Way Café is open on Sundays for brunch, but closed at dinner time on Saturdays (and probably most or all nights right now)

2 Likes

Can anyone think of a heated patio flow to King and John that would be open this weekend?

I suggested Lapinou, Baro and Patria. Is there a heated patio closer to King and John St?

Not sure what is open yet, other than Lapinou, which my wife went to last night (the delicious ham is back!).

1 Like

The Fox on John’s heated patio will be open tonight.