Health-related discussions

I’m glad I have Tivo and can speed through commercials!

2 Likes

It seems all the commercials I see on cable news channels are for prescription meds - and Medicare Advantage, this time of year.

3 Likes

In Canada, it would be people who bring their A1C back under 7.0 long-term who are considered in remission.

The States lowered the line in the sand to 6.5 some time ago.

3 Likes

I rarely eat dessert and such, but I can’t abide unsweetened tea. Tea is one of my daily rituals (I use 1 bag regular and 3 bags “decaf” per 2 cups of water). I’ve been using pure stevia liquid (the type that does not have added erythritol or added nutritive dextrose), as several low-carb websites claim this does not jack insulin levels the way that other artificial sugars do.

Are they right? I don’t know. The studies from years ago seem to say that most artificial sweeteners cause a nearly similar insulin response to sugar, arguing that your brain is responding to the sweet flavor rather than caloric content. This would seem to indicate that pure stevia should have just as strong of a response as sucralose, saccharine or others.

Similarly, gut biome in many studies seems to react to sweet tasting compounds whether they are sugar or saccharine or sucralose, etc. But I keep running into people claiming that somehow, pure stevia is different and doesn’t cause the gut biome response that others (sugar/fake) do.

All the actual studies I’ve read were on reactions in rat gut biome (obvs easier than doing humans), but I haven’t found one specifically comparing fake sweeteners A/B vs. pure stevia.

1 Like

“I find it deeply worrying”.

This choice of words made me think of something that I find deeply disturbing. In recent months TV/radio ads are hawking Melatonin for little kids who can’t go asleep on time. I’m sure there are certain cases where a pediatrician needs to prescribe a sleep aid. Just trying to cover my bases here. But I am sensing Big Pharma lurking in the background, waiting to pounce. Start ‘em out early with a non narcotic and we’ll take over later on.

Just my way of thinking.

4 Likes

When I drink tea, it’s Chinese green tea. Without sugar.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of lemon zinger. Without sugar. Drank it a lot after heart surgery.

3 Likes

I like Earl Grey and Lady Grey without sugar. Breakfast tea or Masala Chai with milk and no sugar. Sometimes a little maple syrup lately (realize that is a sugar)

I like Passionfruit tisane, sold at Portuguese and Brazilian shops and markets.

2 Likes

You are made of stronger stuff than I am.

I can drink green tea (like it, actually) but I can’t drink any tea unsweetened. Maybe the fact is, I only like it because of the fact that I sweeten it.

I’ve never tried it, but it’s entirely possible that I’d enjoy hot sweetened water as much. I don’t think so, but like I said, I’ve not actually tested this.

1 Like

Some Germans and Austrians drink hot lemonade in the winter. It’s available at ski resorts.

I like it. I make it at home. Hot water, lemon and sugar.

1 Like

Never tried it but it does sound good as a winter drink. Hell, I drink hot lemoned pekoe tea in the winter - not much different. Why not drink hot lemonade when it’s cold outside?

1 Like

Stronger? I don’t know. It’s obvious that we’re all different. But I bet that you could get used to unsweetened green tea. You have to eat more often in Chinese restaurants.

1 Like

Haha, it’s a family joke that we make the serving staff wince (or gag), when, back when we all used to grab sugar packets for the green tea!

1 Like

I used to make a pot of Twining Earl Grey leaves, would drink with half and half and honey.

I trained myself to eliminate extra, just drink it plain now. I keep it in a thermos and it stays hot a long time.

Hasn’t made a difference in my weight but maybe it’s healthier.

2 Likes

I am in Belize right now and my new day drink of choice is English Breakfast Tea, iced. It tastes half-sweet but it is steeped in front of me so it must be the tea blend since they do not put sugar or sweetener in it. They must make it very strong because even after half the ice melts it still tastes like tea, not watered down tea.

3 Likes

Maybe, but perhaps it is “big supplement” already pouncing. I am all for healthy skepticism when it comes to pharmaceuticals use and abuse but the supplement business is just as bad if not worse. Afterall, they can claim whatever they want with very little oversite.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. My MD assumed I’d just take meds and not try lifestyle changes. He said most patients just don’t do it. I was taken aback, and said to hold off on meds and let me take a shot at changing things because I knows meds are a slippery slope. But I get where the MDs are coming from, trying to limit damage, and probably liability, at least with diabetes.

3 Likes

Two words: Oxycontin epidemic.

I like Tie Guan Yin / Iron Goddess tea,a variety of Oolong tea, when I dine at Chinese restaurants. There’s a small upcharge for it at places that have it.

1 Like

Agreed, but both sides want to finish first. Big Pharma just hasn’t reared its ugly head yet.

1 Like