Heading to Boston for a few days late October, any recs?

Thanks. Forgot bluefish!

1 Like

Seafood is always high on my list! Just… sometimes I weep when it reaches for my wallet… lol.

But yeah, I’m off to check out the seafood though I have a tendency to prefer cooked oysters vs. raw. Any places that do a good variant on that? I’ve always been a fan of seafood stews as well so that’s another thing I’ll probably give a taste as well.

Yeah no problem! Though no guarantees on when I’ll write about it…

@Thimes Wow! Thanks for the write up, now I feel like I have to search for the markets haha. Actually I do have a quick question, I probably won’t have too much time but are there any places like the wet markets in Asia? or like the fish market in Sydney? I’m thinking there are more places similar to the SF Ferry Building or like Chelsea Market in NYC where you can just easily wander about and just stare at cooked foods but it would be neat to see and walk around those type of places

Haha, actually I am tempted to just have a steamed fish and try the east coast fish variant but probably do that in NY. I missed out last time since I wasn’t sure I was going to be back on the east coast any time soon.

Oh! I heard about blue fish (on cooking issues). They actually sound quite tasty. Is it usually filleted and grilled?

How is the paste served? Like a fishball? or fried?

@uni

Huh cured bluefish nigiri sounds fascinating. I’m don’t usually seek out sushi/sashimi as I preferred more of the cooked Japanese dishes (love Izakayas/robata places and always enjoyed noodle variant), but that seems to be a quick nibble to try out if I’m in that area!

Man all these suggestions is not helping me pair things down haha.

Any other food items that is more localized towards Boston/New England that might not be seafood? It cant hurt to plan… lol

3 Likes

You beat me to it…bluefish is definitely NE-centric. And I love it. Too bad Steve Johnson is no longer cooking in town. He was/is a master of bluefish. I still use his NYT recipe for bluefish with cuke-red onion salad and jasmine rice. @Night07 if you decide to come back to our corner of the world, check out The Red Dory in Tiverton RI. It will fulfill all of your New England seafood dreams.

3 Likes

Bluefish pate looks something like tuna salad, in that smoked bluefish is combined with other ingredients. A simple preparation that depends mainly on the quality of the smoked bluefish.

Here’s a link to a recipe with photo to help you decide if it might be to your liking. Wherever your taste buds may lead you, I hope you have a wonderful visit!

4 Likes

The Public Market might be a good place to investigate. While touristy, you can get a wicked good smoked bluefish pate from Boston Smokehouse (am I remembering that name right?) as well as Red’s Best for an assortment of whatever seafood is fresh. The nibble, walk, nibble some more approach.

5 Likes

Second that. The Public Market is a great way for a visitor to cover a lot of culinary ground…

2 Likes

There is no place like O Ya (Boston) in SF. From Boston, I also miss the sub sandwiches at Al’s south st cafe and pizzeria regina (south station has an outpost). Try the fried clams with squid ink aioli at Craigie on Main. While there, ask them to make you a proper 1919 cocktail. A good lunch (or dinner) spot is Scampo in the Liberty hotel. Pastrami sandwich from sam lagrassa’s. Taiwanese food at jo jo Taipei.

2 Likes

Oh interesting, haven’t really thought out too much on the east coast except the major cities haha. I’ll keep this in mind if I plan to have a longer stay on the Atlantic!

Ah that makes more sense. I also misread it as bluefish paste at first and going that’s odd. What do you do with fish paste?!

Nice! Gotta figure out a way to eat everything now lol.

Thanks for the suggestions! My map is starting to get more and more dots.

Oh super random, I’m still deliberating between taking the train from the South Station or just flying down to NYC. Any thoughts? There’s a slightly sale on Amtrak though the timing of it is not the best. I was thinking of eating lunch then going, but all the cheaper train rides seem to be around 11, or the arrival is late evening in NYC. I’m just waiting to see if Jetblue is going to have a fare sale and Logan isn’t too far away from where I’m staying either.

Personally I am a big fan of taking the train. No airport security lines, and a good time to relax and read. Also, you end up in Manhattan and don’t have the ride from an airport into the Manhattan.

Not sure how much time a flight saves given with transport to and from airports, security etc.

Also, if you are staying near Boston Public Market you can find some good portable things to bring with you on the train for lunch if you end up taking an earlier train.

7 Likes

I wonder (have to wonder since I haven’t been yet) if the Time Out Market would be a better culinary exploration of Boston than the Public Market. Maybe someone who has been to both can help with the pros/cons of each. My impression is that Time Out was trying to attract outlets of the more notable chefs/restaurants in the Boston area - so maybe a better eating experience. Public Market was more vendor driven and smaller “new chef” focus …

Yeah, good point. I haven’t been to Time Out. I was thinking more along the lines of grazing and browsing, rather than a full-on dining experience.

1 Like

Ah! That’s a good point. I was thinking of doing a sit down restaurant but if I can just grab stuff and eat I don’t have to worry too much.

Edit: Hmm I’m looking around the 11 am boarding time for train are there any places that is suggested to grab some food along the way near South Station? Or somewhere in the general vicinity? Probably wake up and leave hotel somewhat earlyish say 9 and wander about and pick up things before boarding

Can’t help you on the food near South Station part but headed south to NYC sit on the left-hand side of the train for the best views (even more important if headed further south to Baltimore).

The 2 places i mentioned, Al’s south st cafe (get the chicken salad sub), pizzeria regina, or you can get dimsum at Winsor in Chinatown.

1 Like

OH! Pizza place opens at 10:30, al’s as well…

and Winsor’s at 9. Guess I can get early breakfast and food to go. Awesome. Thanks!

If you get to Winsor at 9:00 you probably won’t have to wait. Usually one has to wait in line.

I’m still getting my head around boston’s geography lol. Mainly reading wikivoyage and staring at google maps. Didn’t realize I was staying so close around Chinatown. So yeah I should be able to wake up that early. Would be interesting to compare Boston’s dim sum with SF’s.

1 Like

Pizza place is inside south station and Al’s is 1 block from south station, so they might all be doable. I used to like the crunchy rice cake (socarrat) with lap cheung and egg at Winsor, which i have not seen in SF. You can also do Al’s chicken salad sub half and half with egg salad, if you like. You can also get steamed bao to go at Eldo bakery in Chinatown (open 7am), or chinese bbq combo plates at Quic Pic bbq (open 9am)

1 Like

Like in a clay pot? or a little stainless steel cup? The clay pot ones are somewhat common though rarely with that combo. Usually cured duck and pork along with the sausage, egg I see usually with minced beef. The steamed stainless variety was common, though I rarely see it around SF at dim sum parlors but often available at the take out places.

Oh and from everyone’s reaction as well … >_> I’m guessing the best stuff isn’t around downtown haha. I can get to any places via the subway or bus if its not so far off as well so feel free to suggest a few things that aren’t mentioned. I’m just building a map and figuring out what sights I want to see and praying that they’re close to a few good places to eat haha.

The crunchy rice cake is served flat on a plate rather than loose in a clay pot, scored into sections iirc, with omelette incorporated into the top. I have seen this version in Toronto but not elsewhere. I don’t know what they call it.