Have you been back to any childhood chain/franchise?

I saw a Roy Rogers on Route 1 just last weekend … kind of near Garden State Parkway. I also made a U-turn to give it a try, but I ate already. Are we talking about the same one?

Yes, I’m sure we are. I haven’t been to the location yet, but someone did tell me it’s on Rt. 1.

A & W has a couple of outposts within easy driving distance from our house. I stop at one about once per year. Root Beer is as good as I remember from long ago. Hamburgers, not so much. But tolerable.

I though Roy Rogers (and Dale Evans) passed away quite awhile ago? :wink: Took me a minute…

1 Like

He is still alive and has just opened a new store where I live (bought some today):

As a kid we would go to Wendy’s maybe every two months or so as a “treat”. I remember i always got the (vegetarian) chili and would share some fries. Although the frosty was really the entire point of going.

Apparently the chili is no longer vegetarian, or maybe it just was at that location we went to, so I haven’t had it since. A few years back i had part of a frosty which was just as good as i remember.

In high school there was a new location of jamba juice that we went to frequently-i think the company started in CA? We would stop there on our way back from swim practice all the time. In a moment of nostalgia i went to that same location last year, don’t think i had had one since high school, and ordered the same razzmatazz one i always got. SO gross!!! It was painfully sweet and kind of grainy from the ice. I should have just left the nice memories alone.

No review? I assume you went to the newly opened Edison location? FWIW I noticed one opened in Toms River over the weekend too.

It was fine. It was my first time there, so I asked if they are more famous for the roast beef sandwich or the burgers, and the cashier said: roast beef, so I ordered one.

I guess we would have to consider it as fast food good, but I am sure that it is not as good as some good sandwich stores, like Hershel’s East Side Deli.

I actually loved their fried chicken.

Better than KFC and Popeye?

Well remember the thread is “childhood” chains, so like so many things from childhood I would dare to say my memories are better than the adult reality would be.

I’ve never had Popeye’s so I can’t compare but I would say it was fairly equal to KFC, which I do like.

You should go there to support your Roy Rogers. It is on Highway 1. You don’t have a lot of excuses of “it is out of my way”

KFC was my most coveted childhood food thing – original recipe – and we had a bucket maybe 4 times, tops, growing up. We just didn’t do take-out meals.

We get Popeyes…let’s just say rather more often that, now. I like it! The worst I can say of it is that a breast is occasionally dry. (I do dark meat so not an issue.) But then we decided to give KFC a shot and it both bizarre and horrible. Strange dark color, desiccated, a terrible flavor. I don’t like to slag on fast food but this was BAD.

1 Like

Was there an option of veggie or meat chili or was it just veggie chili?

Yes , Still order the same thing .
McDonalds : Big Mac , cheeseburger . Sometimes I get the fries .
Taco Bell : Two crunchy tacos and a bean burrito with green sauce .

1 Like

There is something so simplistically wonderful about a Mc Donalds’ cheeseburger. Their fries always go without saying.

1 Like

I don’t like McDonald hambugers… or do I? I keep saying to myself and others that I don’t like McDonald hamburgers (I do like the filet o fish)…yet, I noticed that I probably still ate at McDonald more than Burger King, KFC, Popeye, Wendy – combined!

Need to start eating at other places more. :confounded:

1 Like

Well maybe you should try their cheeseburger like I said!! It’s all about the cheese (like substance) man…It ain’t easy being cheesy.

1 Like

Back then- and i do mean i was a kid so 20 years or more- it was veggie by default. For some reason i am remembering that (so the story i recall is) that Dave’s daughter was actually a vegetarian, so the fries, chili, and unusual for fast food baked potato were on the menu at wendy’s.

Other fast food burger places i was stuck with lettuce and tomato on a bun, fries were sometimes in beef fat :frowning:

1 Like

Could also explain why they had a pasta buffet at some locations “back in the day”.

1 Like