[Half Moon Bay, CA] Dad’s Luncheonette

I have some mixed feelings about a couple of recent meals- one in June, the other last weekend.

Banana split- exceedingly sweet to all four of us. The kids didn’t like it and neither did we.

Roasted eggplant soup. Quite good. The seeds at the top gave the soup a bit of texture.

This weekend, the chef did a smoked pork belly spring roll special.

The sauce was very good- made with the belly cooking liquid with plenty of pork fat, and brown sugar plus honey added. Made for an intense and aromatic dipping sauce for the roll. My only problem was that its $14 for two, albeit big, spring rolls. The price was pretty hard to justify.

Smoked pepper and eggplant soup. A little bit tartness. It was pretty nice.

Plum galette- plum was very tart. So it made the galette unbalanced. We had a very good one the week before at MH Bread and Butter. This version was more expensive, and less tasty.

Overall, I still love the burger sandwich, but the sides, desserts and the specials are a bit hit or miss. and are relatively pricey compared to the sandwich. Still hungry after spending $60 for 2 adults and 2 kids (with some other items not commented). I’d still go for the sandwich, but I am a bit more hesitant now about the other items.

3 Likes