Had to talk via text because the restaurant was so loud

A few trendy Parisian restaurants have been doing this, impossible loud music to mask so so food. Most were gone with the Covid though. I think tenants complain could be an issue.

1 Like

It has nothing to do with 5 May and all to do with the prevalent thinking that a restaurant needs to create a party/club atmosphere to appeal to (its) diners. Demographically, they are probably correct in terms of who spends the most money for food and more importantly drink. This thinking and reality seriously constricts our eating out.
There is a quip, “The music isn’t too loud; you’re too old.”
Sadly both their and our loss.

4 Likes

I’m such a bitch that I will not only cash out and leave (after taking good care of the server for trying) but I will seek out the manager and tell them why I am leaving and will not be back.

If the manager mouths off I will write a review or contact the company via other means (email, phone, etc)

I’m not a Karen…it takes a lot to get me to that point. But I was raised in small family businesses and someone in the company cares and wants to know why someone has taken their business elsewhere.

3 Likes

Owners tell me trade groups say noise (as distinct from “music”) and TV for people to scream at generates revenue. I agree: it is uncivilized. A problem is that the public cannot amuse itself anymore and thinks it requires noise. I have long harbored the idea of The Quiet Bar. Even in SEC territory there must be 300 people who would like a place without junk “music” and no TV endlessly cranking out football/basketball. Of course standards of public behavior have collapsed such that people do not dress and they allow awful children to shriek. The restaurant is an extension of the home which is a rompers room.

3 Likes

This reminded me of eating in Steak & Ale restaurants in the early `80s. Depending on the store, you had your own little roomlet to yourself or maybe just a couple of tables, very quiet, a bit too dim (IMHO) and at least early on there was some kind of dress code. Not exactly upscale, but decent food on a non-com’s budget, and you could have a nice conversation.