Grocery shopping in Ontario: a skyrocketing price thread

In Ontario, the variety of heirloom tomato or any other tomato is rarely listed.

The heirloom tomatoes will be a mixture 5 or 6 different varieties, different sizes, some with the weird shapes or colours, all at the same price. I’m not sure if those tomatoes are considered multicoloured shapely beefsteaks. :joy:

I’ve grown some heirloom tomatoes, and I’ve never seen Old German tomatoes , for instance, available for sale.

Even at our farmers’ markets the variety of tomatoes is rarely listed.

I remember the Union Square Market in NYC having many varieties of potatoes and plums listed. I can’t remember their tomatoes, but I’m sure they were better labeled than tomatoes up here.

Thanks! I don’t see them labeled by variety in grocery stores here either, and think it would be easy to sell as heirlooms almost any thing that isn’t red and round.

My CSA tends to list their potatoes with names

2 Likes

Sometimes fingerling varieties are mentioned. No idea what variety of russet, reds or white potatoes are at the grocery store.

I try different varieties of seed potatoes. I didn’t keep track this year , though. Some reds and whites, and I planted a few fingerlings from the farmers’ market in the spots where a few potatoes didn’t come up!

1 Like

I try to grow fingerling varieties every year, with limited success.

I have much better luck growing tomatoes, but they are not technically heirlooms.

5 Likes

Everything looks great!

Have you grown Bintje potatoes? They’re not a fingerling. They’re a Dutch yellow-fleshed potato. I really like them.

We have been getting a late Aug blight almost every year for the past decade, so I only grew 3 full sized tomato tomato plants this year, in containers, 4 small tomatoes- 1 yellow cherry, 1 yellow pear shaped, 1 red cherry tomato and 1 other grape tomato in the ground. I have 3 other plants that I planted late, and aren’t flowering yet so who knows if they’ll produce by the first killing frost.

I’ve only harvested 4 full-sized tomatoes and maybe a dozen small tomatoes so far this summer!

I have not, but don’tget me started! I will try to limit my food gardening chat to the food garden thread!

2 Likes

Imported American fancy plums at my indie grocery store in London, Remark Market.I haven’t seen these varietals grown in Ontario.

Current price of local ON lamb at Remark.

Fresh halibut cost $37.99/lb today. It had been costing $29-$32/lb the last time I purchased halibut.

$3.19 for Carnation evaporated milk at Shoppers .It currently costs $2.79 at Sobeys, Metro, No Frills and Loblaws.

At least the “Flavor Grenade” are actually “pluots”.

2 Likes

Good to know! We didn’t even have pluots imported to Canada until the last 5 years or so!

1 Like

I was impressed with how clean and tidy the Source bulk store on Roncesvalles is. They even sell maple syrup, balsamic, black lentils, sesame oil in bulk. They Aldo’s elk empty jars and bottles… Very nice shop. I bought some sesame seeds, poppy seeds and freekeh.

https://www.thesourcebulkfoods.ca/

@THECHARLES , have you been to the Spanish Pig?

Lots of Conservas.

British stuff at Sunnyside Provisions

Alimentari stocks 4 types of Rancho Gordo beans

3 Likes

:joy:

They also sell

Just finished doing a little bit of grocery shopping at Vaughan’s ’ YUMMY MARKET '.
In the past, ( actually not too long ago, maybe about a year or so? ) I liked to splurge on a bit of ’ Wild Coho Salmon Caviar ’ ( Ikura ) once in a while. At $12.99 per 100gr, for an occasional lavish snack, they were borderline affordable/tolerable.
Today, out of curiosity, I dropped by the fish counter to take a browse…WOW!!! They are now selling for $26.99 per 100 gr!! Now, that’s inflation for you!!

1 Like

I’m impressed Cory Vitiello of Harbord Room, Flock , Megan Markle and Martina Sorbara fame, shops at the Source bulk food store on Roncy, Sunnyside Provisions on Roncy and Fiesta Farms on Christie, just like a Hungry Onion would do. :joy: https://torontolife.com/food/cory-vitiello-head-culinary-development-chase-hospitality/

I’m sure he prettied up the place for the photoshoot, but that doesn’t look like a kitchen of someone who cooks at home a lot. :thinking: Just bending over to all those drawers would drive me crazy.

2 Likes

If you were married to a Cancon rockstar who also happens to be the daughter of Greg Sorbara, I’m guessing you probably wouldn’t be cooking at home too much.:joy:

I’m intrigued by the bowl lifestyle.

I am amazed that they choose Sukhothai as their staple, over of the other Thai joints in town. :joy:

I want to see Harry and Meghan’s kitchen now.

1 Like

Apparently Longos is selling turkeys for $120.

Not really food related but, remember when McEwens was price gouging Torontonians for hand sanitizer?

Those wouldn’t be regular turkeys.

Heritage turkeys also cost an arm and a leg.

The $119 Longo’s turkeys look already roasted and cooked. I’m sure Longo’s also is selling regular butterballs and other uncooked turkeys for less.

https://reddit.com/r/toronto/s/YlX5EyAzGM

That said, expect turkey to cost more this season because the avian flu has wiped out domestic farmed turkeys and farmed chickens across North America. It isn’t just inflation and greedy grocer barons a t play.

Restaurant related instead of Grocery related!

INTERESTING FACTOID

Came across this interesting factoid. I’ll put forward my findings and then let you determine if sometimes, doing some price comparison prior to dishing out our well-earned money in purchases is indeed a wise strategy,

especially in cases where greedy restaurants would like to take advantage of consumers’ ignorance?

The iconic and tasty Cantonese traditional dish - ‘ GrandFather, 5 Taste Components, Braised Duck ‘ is appearing in more and more Cantonese restaurant menus. Quality and taste profile, derived from near identical age-old recipes, can be found to be quite similar.

For half a duck, here are some examples of the price ranges restaurants are charging:

• Wei’s Kitchen, Markham……$21.99
  • Chi-Star House, Richmond Hill…….$28.00
  • Kingsfield, Richmond Hill………$28.88
  • Star-Chiva Cuisine, Richmond Hill……… $33!!
    …and I can attest, their quantity, quality and taste are all pretty similar!!
1 Like

I’ve been finding it interesting to compare prices of Steak Frites, Butter Chicken, General Tso chicken, Bennies, etc around town lately! It can vary a lot!

Most steak frites around Little Italy , Dundas W, Roncesvalles and Ossington seem to be $40-$45.

Also, $15 bucks right now can get you very average sandwich or a excellent one. Both the posh places and the middle level places are charging $15 for a sandwich. The Croque Monsieur at Bicyclette Food, a little wine bar on Harbord, was a much better $15 sandwich than my Ranalli’s hot Italian Beef in Kensington Market.