Grocery outlet June/July 2017

The chocolate covered strawberry and the Speculoos cookie caramel was less successful- a bit too sweet and one-dimensional.

I got the pistachio. I thought it was mediocre at best. Not enough pistachio flavor

Yesterday in Palo Alto.

630g of Himalayan pink salt in 0.5cm chunks for $2.99. Todd English brand.

Argentinian red shrimp- 1 lb $8.99. Cheaper than TJ by $1.

Has anything tried the Gortons atlantic cod/ haddock?

The dark chocolate mint “extra creamy” ice cream is decent, but benefits from thawing a little. It is nearly rock hard at my freezer’s temperature.

I really liked the sweet cream gelato, but I am a sucker for any minimalist sweet cream ice cream no matter who makes it.

I bought a whole bunch of those Cecetto strained tomatoes at the Geary store (for 99 cents, not 69 :\ ). They were…OK, I guess? The color was darker than I was expecting; they had decent sweet tomato flavor but not quite what I was hoping for. I added them to a puttanesca sauce that was punched up with a few leftover fresh early girl and heirloom tomatoes. I also spread them on some toast and melted some mozzarella on top. Maybe I need to add a bit more salt to them.

The Rizzoli spicy anchovies (now down to $.50 at Geary) were good, both on my half-assed pizza and in the puttanesca sauce.

They were fine. I hadn’t had milanos in years. Can’t go wrong with more chocolate in the filling though.

I didn’t care much for the gouda - something in the texture wasn’t quite right. The stilton was a bit better. The barbacoa taco potato chips were OK, but mostly tasted like regular barbecue chips with maybe a little extra lime and onion.

Too late to edit my original post, but I think the La Croix “price increase” at the Mission store might have had something to do with the CRV deposit (5 cents x 12 cans) getting confusingly included in the original price on the display at the register. They are still $3.99 at Geary. I will double-check the next time I’m at the Mission store.

Is GO selling expired foodstuff at a discount a policy? I bought some Kind nut bars at 75% off, only to realize that it expired more than a week ago. I returned them, but wondered what the policy was.

Hi bigwheel042,

Thanks for the tip on the Rizzoli anchovies at the Geary store for 50 cents. I bought the spicy ones and the ones in the two-part package with extra virgin olive oil about a month ago at the Oakland store for $1.50 each (15 or 20 plastic packages) and after I tried them I went back for more but they were gone. They were the best anchovies I have ever had and sell for about $5 each package at a stall in the Market Hall next to the Rockridge BART station in North Oakland. They had a “Best By” date of July 2017 stamped on the bottom so that’s why they may have been priced at only 50 cents when you got them. I think that the anchovies were from the Adriatic and processed by Rizzoli which is a 100-year-old Italian firm.

As for the Cecceta tomato sauce, I added it to some soup and only had a small taste of it by itself and found it superior to something in a can.

Make sure it really is Gouda and not processed cheese product. With some of those you need to read the fine print.

Yesterday in Palo Alto GO:

Huy Fong “rooster” Sriracha hot chili sauce $2.69 17oz

Steuve pastured organic egg is back at $4.99 doz. Great deal.

Green & Blacks pack of 4 chocolate bars, 2 milk, 2 dark $4.99. @hyperbowler is that the same collection you saw for $8.99? perhaps the closer expiration date of sep and oct explains the delta.

Season black capelin Iceland caviar $2.99 2oz

The four pack is the sea salt variety pack. I got that one too :slight_smile: I prefer the larger sampler of 7? bars because it intersperses the sea salt and regular varieties.

Green and black has a very interesting mouth feel – – The quantity of fat does not seem way off from other brands, but the texture and is very buttery, more like white chocolate.

Does it list alkali as an ingredient? In the past they’ve denied “Dutching” their products but since being bought up by Cadburys and swallowed up by Mondelez they’ve been getting farther and farther from their organic/fair trade/natural ethic.

The Fairtrade logo has also been ditched as the cocoa beans for the range have been sourced via a certification scheme called Cocoa Life, set up by Mondelēz.

LOL. Lacking credentials? Just set up a certification yourself. I don’t know enough about this scheme, but it seems to be devalued when the entire Cadbury chocolate line is certified under the scheme.[quote=“hyperbowler, post:31, topic:9818”]
Green and black has a very interesting mouth feel – – The quantity of fat does not seem way off from other brands, but the texture and is very buttery, more like white chocolate.
[/quote]

One of the bars- milk salted caramel- lists butter (in addition to cocoa butter) as one of the ingredients.

I didn’t see any mention of alkalis or dutching on the label.

I have been on a roll of crappy ice cream from GO lately, including a Redtop Gelato. Any good ice cream sightings recently?

No, unfortunately. They had a three twins variety that I passed on (banana nut?), Hostess Sno Balls, and some tillamook on Sunday night on S Van Ness

Saw some Clover natural icecream in 48oz size in Palo Alto in 3 flavors at $2.99 each, chocolate chip cookie dough/ cookies and cream/ double espresso. I got the first two but haven’t tried them yet.

De Nigris Platinum Eagle Balsamic Vinegar- 8.5 oz $5.99 (65% grape must)

Still striking out in the icecream department with the above said Clovers being unremarkable.

Himalayan sea salt, coarse or fine, 2 lb for $3.99.

ETA: Three Twins salted caramel icecream.

I tried the Three Twins Cookies and Cream and Dad’s Cardamom flavors. The cookies and cream is solid, if a little…light, like they whipped in extra air to fill up the one-pint volume while using less actual ice cream. The cardamom is very strong in spice flavor, almost overpowering. Not sure I like it on its own, maybe better as a scoop on pie or something.

I picked up three more dark mint Tim Tams for $.99 each. Also a Lindt chocolate bunny left over from Easter (marked down to $1.99).

Other than desserts GO has been slim pickings for me lately.

Should we start a new thread for August/September?

Pro tip: I randomly bought and mixed the dad’s cardamom ice cream with the lemon cookie from three twins as well - it’s a solid combination!

1 Like