Greater MP / PA restaurant roulette: THE REST

You don’t have it on your list, and not sure if its something you tried already. I am pretty curious about the reputedly Soup Nazi style Thai weekday lunch takeout window in the main quad at Stanford. I have not had the chance to try it, but would love to given the Thai wasteland status of Palo Alto in general. Though the hours makes it difficult to go.

Apparently the line moves fast and one better knows what he/she wants with cash in hand by the time he/she reaches the window or will get yelled at by Maykhanh Bahlman the owner.

1 Like

Fascinating report!

I will have it on my mental list for when I’m at Cantor Arts — although weekdays only is especially hard — hopefully someone else will chime in.

( I am now 80% Tommy Thai, because you can get it spicy enough, and because Cambodian sour-taste is very interesting and I’m working through the menu. But it’s further away, and I know you can get some decent food at Amerin if you scowl at them regarding SPICY. I especially like the Cashew Chicken because they braise the chilis so nicely, imparting a good smokey flavor. But it’s just as far away as Tommy and even harder to park at. Did I mention miserable? 3 thai places downtown, all lousy. The California Ave place is lousy. You’d think they would learn from the Burmese places, which have lively and interesting spices, and are doing land-office business. )

Our list only includes places open for dinner, regrettably, but does include stanford campus places. If you hear the place is open for dinner - I’d love to know about it.

This is the location that was recently Crawfish Fusion and before that was Taxim. The location is somewhat unpleasant inside, at least is not “palo alto standard”. Its only real benefit is the large semi-outside seating. If they make it into a brunch spot with nice outside seating, they may survive long enough for me to visit.

was? or still is? I remember Taxim as dark, and like your description, ‘unpleasant’. I have a very high tolerance for divey place but that place stood out. I hope they at least freshen things up at Les Bizous.

Add one to the list:

wow i remember years ago having Vetri’s pigs head ravioli with fennel pollen and being blown away. maybe it’s too much to hope that he will bring it back.

What’s in the ravioli? Facial meat and brain?

i do’nt recall brain specifically but whatever was in there was extremely succulent and maybe a bit gelatinous even.

1 Like

@bbulkow, since iTalico is not on your list, how do you like it?

Added iTalico, thanks. We haven’t made much progress in the last few months on the list, sadly.

A candidate for the list- the Umu, Samoan food truck at Kelly Park!

What’s most interesting to me in the article is this: "As for the market itself, he pointed out, there is a significant Polynesian community in eastern Menlo Park and East Palo Alto, yet to his knowledge, the only places to buy Samoan food in the Bay Area are in San Francisco, San Jose and Newark. "

Newark has a new-ish Guam-ian place that’s pretty good.

Booniepepper?

Yes! While I wouldn’t call it “worth a trip”, I think it’s worth a stop if one is canvassing the various foods of fremont. Quick counter service, nice roast taste on the meats.

The Thai takeout window at Stanford closed permanently due to family emergency. The owner retired.

Fast Tony’s Kitchen got some potential. I got the Southern (not hot) Chicken sandwich which had a piece of fried chicken breast that was well marinated but a little dry. The Belcampo people next door suggested the Nashville style chicken which I will try at some point.

Skip the new Greek place from the Brioche people on California Ave- Kali Green Kitchen. Overpriced mediocre Greek fast food. Bland lamb, rice with a somewhat hard texture. The only alright was the salad.

Here’s what happened with that list. The preponderance of low-end east palo alto taco joints has been a turn off. I think I’m going to have to split the list into more of a taco joint list, and more of a “newer places that aren’t taco joints” list, just to get the project going again.

Regarding my local area, the new outdoor seating at Left Bank is very pleasant, with a real floor, and the kitchen seems to be back on track ( they had a rough year or so recently, ingrediant quality especially ). We like the new Black Pepper in Menlo Park, are somewhat confused by the new Chum Ya ( old Su Hong ) because of the very american menu and very chinese staff, and are eagerly awaiting trying the new japanese place ( in the old Tokyo Subway spot ).

For indian, my favorites are still Aapakadi and Himyalian Kitchen ( S MV / N SV ) partially because they’re near the 85 junction, Thai is Tommy Thai. Had a very very pleasant meal at Vesta, we only don’t go there every day because it’s too crowded :slight_smile: — showing up at about 9pm is the only way to get a table, although the protip is to wait across the street at Mandaloun, which is very very empty given the reasonable prices and quality for drinks and apps. Chinese, I favor the somewhat recent Chef Zhao (shanghai) at Embarcadero, although also still love the other chef zhao (szechuan). In downtown PA we’ve been to Three Seasons more recently, it’s just less crowded, although there’s nothing wrong with Dan Gordon or a few other place — many are simply too crowded. For “special occasion” meals in the last few months we hit Madrone, which was perfect for that crowd, big table, sunset, broad menu, tasty food, and the bar at Village Pub, which had a service hiccup but they were very nice about it. We’ve stopped going to Stein’s in MV because it’s just too freakishly crowded and haunt Refuge more, especially the San Carlos branch where you can sit outside.

In my lunch area, which is San Antonio, I love the taco truck ( Mi Rancho I think ) which inhabits Charleston near the Best Buy / Pet Smart / REI. Across the street at the Michael’s, actually. Crucially, they have an al pastor spit on the truck, and their red salsa is first class. I’ve started eating at Dohatsuan more, and greatly appreciate it. The locals seem to know just how much to pack it for lunch, so sometimes there’s a person or two of wait, but it’s never crazy. The atmosphere is dank, but the ramen is very good.

We do like going out where there is live music on a friday. That usually means a rotation of Smoking Pig Fremont, Poor House ( actual po boys not someone using the name po boy just to sell an average sandwitch ), Stritch, Cafe Barrone, even my very local Cafe Zoe. Savana Jazz, even with take-in from Panda Dumpling, is just often a little claustraphobic.

Our beer week SV hit this week was at Nom Burger in the SV Downtown, which had the generic fixings and poor service you get in SV these days with the prices of everything as they are, but a plausible burger - the first time I’ve had a burger with burrata, although they said the meat was ground in-house I’ve gotten the taste of the meat from my mexican butcher, which is denser and more flavorful . My favorite beer of the batch was Founder’s Doom, but one of the Goose Islands was excellent and typical of the bourbon barrel aged style. Really not terribly happy with this trend of 16 percent beers, so my house beer has moved to Anchor’s Mexican Lager, which is a beer you can just have with dinner and not have it kill you.

2 Likes

Did they put more French items back on the menu? I recall they tweaked the menu and it didn’t look very French at some point.

I don’t know if I my memory is faulty, but I thought I saw a good number of real Cantonese dishes when they first opened. I read the menu again tonight, and got the same impression as you. The very few Cantonese items I ate are there. Though most of everything else seem American.

There are two, and if they are any good, please let us know!

No. I would say the food is recovering but not back yet. I often get the steak frites, and the proper bavette cut they used to use turned into a folded over arrachera cut and now it’s back to something generally like a bavette.

But the menu, I fear, will never be fully french again. Will let you know if it does.

Two! Three???

Kyosho is the new one with interesting reviews in the old Tokyo Subway space.

32 Degrees is across the street and new to me.

Octopus is around the corner on El Camino.

I better get eating…

On a related note, we like Black Pepper, so doubt there will be many Chum Ya meals in our future. I think they’re in a rough location, and don’t know whether to make it American or Chinese or Chinese/American…

Also - I saw that there is a proposed new hotel development for the Su Hong Palo Alto spot, so we’ll see what happens there.