Great places for a low key 40th Birthday Dinner - Westchester, Putnam, Fairfield Cty

My beloved husband is turning 40 in April. Not too much into the loud restaurant/bar scene these days (but he loves a great brew and a cocktail at some of our local joints) and wants to keep it intimate and down-to-earth (like he is!). He loves the following foods: Chinese, Italian, Pizza, BBQ, Southern, and American (burgers & fries, etc.), He also has a killer sweet tooth, so a place with delicious desserts would be a huge plus. :slight_smile:

Places we love that I’ve brought him to already: Bridge View Tavern in Sleepy Hollow, Imperial Wok in North White Plains (Hooray Szechuan!), Colony Grill in Stamford, Holy Smoke in Mahopac and Big W in Wingdale.

Any ideas you have for making my guy smile, I’d really appreciate it. He’s had a very tough year.

I probably should not be recommending a place that I have never been to … but ever
since I read Jfoods review of Hoodoobrown BBQ I knew that was where I wanted to have my next
birthday meal!!! http://hoodoobrownbbq.com/
Is it too far to consider … it’s definitely not Fairfield Cty
http://www.ctbites.com/blog/2015/8/2/hoodoo-brown-bbq-in-ridgefield-gluttonous-carnivorianism.html

2 Likes

I feel that! I wish I did - I’ll take suggestions too!!

Have you taken him to Dinosaur BBQ in Stamford? I might do a cocktail at Fortina nearby and a big meal at Dino BBQ. My husband’s tastes sound somewhat similar and he loved it there.

I’ll keep thinking of other things but that was the first that sprang to mind.

1 Like

Thanks chowdom! No - this is definitely not too far and it sounds great. The only places I want to avoid are the 5 boroughs so we can get back to our brood quickly. :slight_smile: I adore jfood’s reviews - he has never steered me wrong ever! Thank you!

1 Like

winecountry – We’ve also been to The Parlor - have you been? Lots of fun - the food and vibe will definitely put a smile on your face. My hubby loved it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We love Dinosaur! That’s a great idea too - thanks! We went to the flagship Dino in Syracuse, but that was about 9 years ago! I think a return trip is due. :slight_smile:

Dinosaur in Stamford would be a good choice for BBQ. I would also recommend The Inn at Pound Ridge. We had a wonderful birthday dinner there last year. And, yes, they offer a nice selection of beers and cocktails. Great burger, too…

1 Like

Check for another jfood post about another BBQ place he thought was the best of them. He posted it on HO.

1 Like

GR, I thought of Inn at Pound Ridge too, but I was torn because Sra. Swanky said “down to earth” and I’m not sure if that quite meshes. However, it is quiet and laid back and is special enough feeling for a birthday without being fancy. I’ve only been there for RW but I though the food was quite good and we had some really delicious housemade sodas so I can believe they have great cocktails too. Big difference in price and atmosphere from Dino BBQ though.

1 Like

Found it

1 Like

Love the Parlor. I’m assuming you’ve also been to the Cookery? It has the loud factor depending on the time but that’s also a real stick-to-your-ribs down to earth type place.

1 Like

Mason Dixon lost Nestor and believe it is now shuttered.

Cherry Street in New Canaan is a down to earth pub with great no frills bar food and one of the top hamburgers in the area.

1 Like

Wow, gone already? That was fast!!

I’ll second the Cookery - we had brunch there recently and it was terrific. If you are seafood fans, I can also recommend Bread and Brine in Hastings - we had dinner there on Friday night and it was excellent (with a very laid back atmosphere).

2 Likes

Anyone been to Daryl’s House (of the famous Daryl Hall from Hall & Oates) in Pawling, NY? Is the food good? Señor Swanky has been jonesing to go there for quite some time. (He’s a HUGE fan!)
http://www.darylshouseclub.com/

We’ve been wanting to go too, but don’t know about the food, so we were waiting to go when there is an act we want to see. So far there hasn’t been. I have a feeling the food is not the draw!

1 Like

Haha! Probably not. I’ll report back if/when hubs and I end up going but for his birthday, we’ll probably end up at a place where food is king. :slight_smile:

Could I run a Chinese place by you? Has anyone been to Fantasy in Hartsdale lately? He said he’d be thrilled to have either a BBQ meal & dessert stop or a Chinese meal & dessert stop. (My love is so refreshingly uncomplicated!) :slight_smile: Is Fantasy a good choice?