Graze - Little Silver [NJ]

Some NJ delacacies…some tiles in the mix

1 Like

That’s a nice trip. Is that a swordy on the right? Wait, make that three swords? :astonished:

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1928720_1102991253171_9384_n.jpg?oh=0ee4f0cd6551dde124679f3d3561cfa5&oe=5950FE3A

So thanks again to this thread popping up the bride and I gave this place a try tonight. Arrived 6pm no reservations but they were able to accommodate us with a nice table with a good view of the glass front kitchen. The layout and decor of the place is very nice, we were greeted by our server, given water and bread with duck butter and told the specials.

We decided to go with the butcher block speciall of the night, a 50oz (yes 50) pork chop. It came with a mixed salad and empenadas appetizer and a kale and mushroom risotto as a side.

The salad and empanadas were very good, the sauce with the empanadas was very tasty, they were a meat and potatoe empanadas. We ordered our pork medium well since my wife gets freaked out by pink pork, so there was a slight delay before our entrees arrived. The server was very courteous in explaining the delay and it was perfectly understandable.

After maybe 10-15 minutes we were served our entree, looked awesome!! Honestly though I question the 50oz claim, (see pics) but that was the least of the issues. While certainly not bland there was also very little “wow” factor to it. Seasoned with just salt and pepper and grilled the pork was rather dry (yes we ordered it medium well) and it was “ok” but nothing special. The real problem with the pork was how fatty it was, (see pics) I don’t know why they couldn’t trim it some more.

The risotto while very good, had very oddly shaped/cut mushrooms which honestly appeared very squid-ish. (see pics) So much so I literally had to remove them from the risotto because visually they just threw the dish off.

We were full so we skipped any coffee or desert. I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone from giving it a try but I doubt I’ll be back. Oh the butcher block special was $120 including everything listed above. Say $12 each for the salad, empanadas and risotto, that places the chop at $86, I really don’t see any value in that price.

Fat

Mushrooms from risotto (they really grossed me out)

that’s shame JR- I certainly like what the chef there is trying to do and appreciate more choices in LS/Shrewsbury area. But besides the lack of flavor, that fat should def have been butchered better. A place at that $$ point and that aim should not miss on that.

Still looking to get here but might readjust for apps kind of tapas style perhaps

Nice report @NotJrvedivici I can always count on you for some great intel. Well done buddy.

Bumping this one up…anyone been lately?

After reading this over again , is that a double cut pork chop? I can’t see how a double cut can come in at 50 oz but who knows I guess.

Those mushrooms look like a failed science experiment. Yikes!

1 Like

IMG_1324 IMG_1321 IMG_1319 IMG_1325 IMG_1322

Went here last friday to take advantage of Jersey Shore Restaurant week. Decor was nice …lighting a hair dark but noise level was good for me and tables and chairs comfortable. Service was good.
I was with my wife and daughter. We all ordered off Restaurant week menu. There is Bone Marrow on regular menu and table next to mine ordered it and it looked real good!
I ordered short rib spring rolls and the fried chicken entree. Short ribs had a crispy hot shell and dense flavorful filling. Organic fried chicken was very good, portion was small (leg attached to thigh) and oddly nested on braised cabbage and wet stuffing. Moisture and closeness to sides took seeped onto bottom of chicken and made it a little soggy. but flavor was there. Portion as shown on picture was a little small for me but I understand the restaurant week thing. My daughter had green salad appetizer good portion. My Wife had mussels appetizer both were good ! They both had short rib Gnocci entrees which were ok. Desserts were a grape gelato, brownie with ice cream and a bread pudding all ok.
Overall food was fresh, and there is obvious caring and conscientiousness in the cuisine. Just wasn’t blown over, maybe the prix fixe menu was the issue Idk.

6 Likes

thanks for review- seems to be the gist here- they aim high and try hard but full just short of what their goals with some small fails on attention to detail.

1 Like

So word on the street is they closed? Anyone confirm? I heard the chef went over to the Butchers Block? (I thought the chef was the owner?)

1 Like

Excerpt from their FB page:

While Sunday will be the last night of service for Graze in Little Silver, we are determined to re-open in an area better suited for the kind of restaurant we aim to be. We are actively looking for new space, and hope to announce our new location in the Spring 2020. In the meantime, I remain the Executive Chef of our group, and Jonah, Jenn, & I will be making an announcement in mid-October on bringing a new restaurant to the space, that we are confident will honor our commitment to quality food, and be something that’s both unique and in line with the expectations of the local community. We are targeting a 12/1 opening.

I am eternally grateful for the loyalty and support of our customers. Most importantly, I have to thank my wife Agnes, who is unwavering in her support, and has enabled me to dedicate almost every waking hour into Graze, knowing that she has the kids & the rest of our lives under control.

I am thankful and excited about the opportunity the Dambrisi’s have afforded me to come on board @butcherblock, and with the extra time I have being an employee, as opposed to an owner/operator, I will re-charge my batteries, and spend some much needed time with my family and mastering the art of butchering.

2 Likes

Interesting…I gave a quick glance at their facebook page, but only looking to see if it said “closed”, I didn’t read that post. Their URL is down, so the website is down, but other than that I couldn’t find any other confirmation.

So it looks like a new restaurant will be created for the Little Silver space, while they look to reincarnate Graze at another location? Good luck to them.

1 Like

that sucks to hear; they were such a unique spot for Shrewsbury/LS. I know chef Junior lurks here once in a blue moon, if you’re around Chef- best of luck in your new spots and enjoy working @ BB.

3 Likes

Although I only made it to Graze a couple of times, their bone marrow was about the best rendition I had!

1 Like