Grapes - protecting them from forest creatures

Thanks. Husband built it.

Maybe bird netting or chicken wire to keep the larger animals out? Awkward to cover the whole thing, though.

Iā€™m just amazed you get ripe grapes in Western WA! Thereā€™s a grape arbor over my parentsā€™ back deck in Seattle, it would set fruit but very rarely did we get actual ripe grapes to eat.

1 Like

Wow! I tried grape vines at my home before and could never get them to fruit like that! If I had been able to, Iā€™d want to protect the fruits of my labor (pun intended) as well. good luck!

1 Like

Thereā€™s an excellent vendor of fruit trees and vines here locally, and if they sell it, that means it grows here. Everyone trusts them implicitly. I will say that our 4 vines dramatically differ in how many grape clusters they produce, depending entirely on how much sun they get. Which is actually quite different based on our trees and our topography (hill behind the house creates a lot of shade as do some large doug fir stands). So the vine with the least sun produces maybe 6 clusters of grapes, and the one with the most has 40 on it. But yes, it is really gratifying to see them growing and thriving, and then really devastating to watch the crop demolished before itā€™s ripe enough to pick. We thought about bird netting. In addition to being unwieldy though, the good climbers can obviously just monch the fruit through it, as they did with the mesh bags.

2 Likes

Same thing with my figs!

1 Like

Right? Itā€™s a battle of attrition. I bet the fauna leave your chili peppers alone.

1 Like