Good sources to buy live fishes in the Bay Area?

Why is Coonstripes so much cheaper?

New Day is tails only. Heads are off already.

Don’t know why the price diff. The Coonstripes work for us.

A few years ago, New Day experimented with leaving the heads on some of their prawns. We like to suck shrimp heads , so happily bought a batch. Found the tails seem degraded and more mushy.

When we talked to the captain next, he confirmed same. He don’t do head-on since.

Half Moon Bay yesterday (Friday). Needed some live fresh fish, been too long.

One of our favorite ships, Mr. Morgan, had sent an email advising they will be docked and selling Friday afternoon. Alas, a no show. Luckily there were a few other venders to choose from.

Kingfish (White Croaker) is always good for us, and they look mighty feisty in their live tank. $7/lb, a bit more than the $5/lb we are used to. Still, we bought 7lbs anyway.

Simply braised, with a side of Oyster Sauce GaiLan.

Every fish was full of Roe, which was braised with the fish. Along with some Morels.

A side of Soft Tofu, topped with the braising liquid, roe and morels.

Not much to look at, but satified the craving for some home cooked fish fresh off the boat.

7 Likes

Whatever you’re making looks good. Is that braised fish dish called anything?

Thanks, I’ll pass your compliment to the chef (my wife).

No name method. Just her ez peazy go to. Quick brown in the pot with whatever aromatics are on hand. Throw in.tofu cubes as available, we had morels this time. Add water and simmer in same pot for 10-15 minutes, finish with healthy glug or three Shaoxing wine. Works well.

2 Likes

Add Pacific St Fish Market on Pacific/ Stockton as a good place to buy live seafood. Got a ton of tanks. Coral trout for $50 a pound. Didn’t have it the day I went but said sometimes they have it. Forgot to ask whether it’s wild or farmed.

4 Likes

Pacific is our go to in C-town. They were actually on Pacific ave around the corner. They never reopened the Pacific location after the fire.

The location now houses some very large live holding tanks, keeping live fish livelier than other fishmongers in the area.

1 Like