GOOD EATS NYC 2024 (A Blanket Thread)

The duck and curry soup were my favorites.

I didn’t think of the dumplings as comparable to dim sum as they were a different style, and I’m always happy to try new-to-me dumplings.

The fish noodles were interesting in texture, though I may have been in the minority that preferred them without the additional sauces.

I should just not bother eating any shrimp dumpling-type thing unless it’s har gow. Or the ones at Noodle Village, those are pretty good.

2 Likes

when I compared to dim sum I was referencing flavor mainly - these dumplings as well as the fried stuff were pretty bland, wasnt really sure what I was eating,

1 Like

Imo, noodle village has the best dumplings and wonton soup in Chinatown, the wonton soup close to what we had in Hong Kong where we had the benefit of @THECHARLES legendary quest to find the one bowl to rule them all.

1 Like

Was there anything memorable from pre-lunch grazing?

None of us went pre-lunch walking. It just wouldn’t have been the same without you :roll_eyes:. We all met at Bo Ky (if you don’t count that I ran into small_h across the street 10 minutes beforehand and managed to eat half of what she was eating).
As for the Bo Ky lunch: in the mid-late '80s, a couple of my co-workers and I were in the area regularly for lunch and went here every week or two. Always liked it, gruff service and all. Forty years later, this hasn’t changed. Although they did go out of their way to accommodate every request we made (more plates, extra bowls) & even recommended which sauce to use for the fish noodles. Even got a couple of smiles. I liked most of what we had and didn’t actively dislike anything. Although I thought that the spring rolls, shrimp dumplings & fish cakes were ehh & wouldn’t order any of them again, I thought that the rest was worth getting. The fish noodles were excellent, as were the sate noodles, the curry beef noodles and the duck. The lemongrass pork was good enough and as I remember it - dry but flavorful & the cut up shrimp rolls were fine. We even got bowls of broth on the side & a pitcher of water, refilled when emptied. I didn’t try the tea.

The pork I ate was juicy. There were 2 chops layered one over the other. Not as intensely lemongrass-y as the Viet version, and with the addition of soy sauce.

How does it compare to Maxi’s?

Might have to stop by next week.

i haven’t been to maxi’s so not sure. it’s been a while but I recall charles thought sifu chio on prince st in flushing was equal to anything he had in hong kong, You, dave and I walked past last week, I peered in, looks like they’re closed (again). I hadn’t been since the pandemic but thought it very good the couple of times we were there.

my wonton soup journey was triggered by the realization that although many people thought NY noodletown served the best in NYC, I never found the shrimp fresh. After reading a bunch of stuff, I came to realize it’s very difficult to make great wonton soup so I spent about a year trying different versions and decided noodle village was about the best we had in manhattan. I also like their soup and fried dumplings.

best,

2 Likes

That’s dedication!

Sounds like wonton tasting might be in the cards.

Seems they’re closed on Thursdays

maybe that’s it! the website link on google is broken as is online ordering but when I peered through the windows, it did seem like all the tables and kitchen were intact.

Cha Long, yet another Thai restaurant on 9th (betw. 50th and 51st). Newish. But it has goat, and that got mine. Their simply listed “goat curry” turned out to be superb. As did their roti.

Doesn’t compare to the goat at Foxface last fall, but very good nonetheless.

2 Likes

I love Thai and I love goat. That’s a great menu:

“6 hours braised goat in aromatic southern red curry and seasonal fruit, serve with side of Roti (Roti contain gluten, Rice could be substitution for gluten free).”

2 Likes

Absolutely. In my limited time in NYC these days I’ve explored it a bit more. These three dishes have been splendid:

1. Sator Goong. This is a dish whose recipe is on the Michelin site – except that that recipe doesn’t have the ground pork that the Cha Long version has. The C-L version was an all-round winner: the porky base spicy, the shrimp nicely cooked, and the “stinky beans” leaving a lovely, long bitter aftertaste.
  1. Phuket Pak Mor: a sweetish, elongated dumpling with chopped peanuts and coconut inside. Sounds unimpressive, but tastes well above this description.
  1. Tod mun Pu: A phenomenal fish cake, with bulging bits of crab.

There isn’t an item on the short menu that you can easily get elsewhere (apart from rice – also excellent here), or get elsewhere at all in NYC.

RUN.

Angel Indian, a minute’s walk from the Jackson Heights F stop. We were a party of six, so we got to try a fair number of dishes. There were (in my opinion) three solid hits and a few near misses.

I finally got my salt lassi, yay. My companions preferred the mango; they are wrong.

Appetizers were just okay. I was not that taken with the samosa chaat - too sweet for me. And I think the pani puri I had recently at Desi Galli was better.

Here’s where it gets interesting. A phenomenal tandoori pompano (tragically not pictured), and what I am told were very good lamb chops.

This festive Amritsari aloo kulcha, stuffed with cheese and accompanied by excellent chickpeas, some nice yogurt, I’m-not-sure-of-the-point-of-this peppers and onions, and one of those super-salty pickles I’m like :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: no.

And the biggest surprise for me, vegetable biryani. I always think biryani’s kind of a snooze, but this one packed a punch, along with cauliflower, potatoes and tomato, et al. This led to a discussion of which vegetables hang onto heat the most (tomatoes, in this case).

Kheer for dessert, split between us since we were all stuffed and about to fall asleep. And the staff was very keen to turn our table - every ten seconds, someone stuck his head into the outdoor box where we were sat and stared in disbelief that we were STILL THERE. New York Noodletown is still the champ at chasing diners out, but Angel is a strong contender!

There were things I would have ordered that did not get ordered - the menu’s pretty extensive. It would be good to go back.

6 Likes

You and me, keeping the salty lassi going.

This looks like real pani puri, with the spicy water and the sweet chutney provided for you to adjust. The other one looked like they put green chutney in it, which is not an ingredient in pani puri.

Love pompano, and tandoori fish is fabulous.

What the WHAT?
(I really want to see inside that dough lid.)

1 Like

Angel was our last meal in Jackson Heights, a few years back. Really good stuff. Still thinking about the kebabs.

As you wish (compliments of @DaveCook)

4 Likes

We took a client who had never eaten Indian food to the wonderful $15 lunch buffet (now defunct), at darbar and he ate one of those very spicy pickles.

He didn’t show up for work the next day :joy: