GOOD EATS NYC 2024 (A Blanket Thread)

If that was $145 even with two more slices of brisket, that’s just ridiculous

Here’s the menu: https://hometownbbq.com/menu-ic

We got 4 meals out of it. It was the beef rib that jacked up the bill for us.

Of course, but that’s not what’s under discussion.

Didn’t you say that they are mixing the curry base & rice together at the end, not cooking them together? Not sure what’s different that’s under discussion.

At least that beef rib looks very tasty.

Desi Galli was the unfortunate source of that curry + rice = biryani video that actually compelled me to start the Biryani thread :woman_facepalming:t2:

Hah! Well, I think what I had was actually pani puri, as it was listed on the menu.

The beef rib is awesome. They don’t have it all the time and when they do I get one. Yes you’re paying a lot for bone but it’s crazy good. And seeing the size, the rib was very likely over $50 on its own.

Hometown is expensive. If you come from part of the country where good bbq is the norm like where I grew up, the prices will be outrageous and you probably wouldn’t go. If you’re from part of the country that has crappy bbq, you are still not likely to go because of the prices. I think the group that pays such outrageous prices are residents who appreciate good bbq and have the disposable income to pay.

1 Like

Sugarfish by Nozawa. I ate at a chain. In Manhattan. And hated it.

I was in Soho and wanted sushi for dinner. Blue Ribbon Sushi and Sugarfish were the two options. I had been spending money like a Kardashian, so thought I could even it out with a less expensive omakase.

Got the middle priced set menu for $46 and two pieces of scallop nigiri for $8. Couple glasses of Sauv Blanc.

Started with edamame. Cold, unsalted, taken from a pile of cling film covered, pre-plated stack in the bar area cooler. Then the first dish… again, can tell it had been pre-plated and sat in the cooler, as it was too cold. Various cuts of tuna sashimi in a ponzu sauce.

The fish was fine but the place uses warm rice which I am just not into. I think I remember reading about that but forgot. One of the handrolls used chopped up fish like a salmon salad which I didnt even finish.

Room was loud and boringly decorated. Vibe was just off - rapid service, fast moving wait staff running about. I really disliked my evening there. By the time I left it was packed.

$85 with tip included. (Non-tipping restaurant)

NOTE: If you’re looking for tableware I highly recommend Global Table on Sullivan Street. Great little store with warm, fun service.

I’ve enjoyed SugarFish since I ate at the original LA location many years ago.

It’s a specific shtick, though, so if it doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t work for you.

Love the warm rice. And the handrolls.

I ate at the Flatiron branch a few years ago and had a slightly better experience than you did, but I’ve never felt the faintest desire to return.

Bummer. I had a good experience at the Flatiron branch for lunch a few years ago, but perhaps didn’t have the highest expectations.

The fish was good quality, and there were no temp issues… but it’s not a return destination for me.

BO KY

Viet Spring rolls

Shrimp roll

Fish cakes

Shrimp dumplings

Fish noodles

Teo chow sate noodles

Curry beef noodles

Country duck

Lemongrass pork chop

@small_h @JenKalb @SteveR @DaveCook @vinouspleasure

6 Likes

I will carry the memory of these fish noodles with me for quite a while.

4 Likes

was the service as brusque as I remember it? and was that lemongrass pork chop as dry as I remember it? actually, it looks juicy. and omigod that duck!

Getting there late / after peak rush must have worked in our favor. They gave us small bowls for the soup, and small plates for the food (on request).

1 Like

I appreciated our server telling me what sauce went best with the fish noodles, and steering me toward the pork-free shrimp dumplings.

1 Like

I liked the curry noodle soup, which had a nice coconut curry , the duck and the fish noodles and fishcake the best, also the teochow sate noodles, not as sweet as feared. The pepper sauces helped a lot of these dishes. I found the spring rolls and fired shrimp roll meh and the shrimp dumpllings were flabby and not as good as average dim sum. So glad to have been able to participate!

1 Like

The duck and curry soup were my favorites.

I didn’t think of the dumplings as comparable to dim sum as they were a different style, and I’m always happy to try new-to-me dumplings.

The fish noodles were interesting in texture, though I may have been in the minority that preferred them without the additional sauces.

I should just not bother eating any shrimp dumpling-type thing unless it’s har gow. Or the ones at Noodle Village, those are pretty good.

2 Likes