GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

(I was recently amused by that “authentic food” thread. That is all.)

Dipping that newfangled creation in tahini does sound like good times, though.

(I figured.)

And hot sauce! Also.

recent meal at flor de mayo on amsterdam, cumin dusted fried chicken chunks and lomo.

4 Likes

So how was it?

Good as a novelty snack. Nothing I’d try to replicate.

1 Like

Ive had it years ago. Nice to see them still around.

Another good one is the Crispy Rice Egg at Kook (East Village) but its with pork

1 Like

Yeah, we go to Eastwood once a month or so. They just started (or re-started) brunch. It’s one of my favorite places to sit, and if they had a full bar it might be my favorite place.

That seaweed roll at K’ook has my name on it, I think.

1 Like

Went back to Chveni Cafe with relatives. Biggest, most delicious discovery this time was the “Ostri” - Sort of a spicy beef stew. Like the stew version of the Kharcho if you will. Very tender, delicious beef with a well balanced, bright tomatoee broth. Really excellent.

The chicken this time wasnt as salty as before. Maybe they read these things.

2 Likes

This is drawing out the pedant in me- the Scotch Egg might be derivative of the Indian meat- covered eggs, Nargisi Kofta.

back to szechuan garden last night, mapo tofu and szechuan style kung po shrimp. the place could really use a fresh coat of paint, starting to worry my family is going to assign this to the category of “let’s humor dad once or twice a year” restaurants.

8 Likes

Good stuff. Next time just tell them you are going to a Chinese restaurant, or Asian fusion to play it safe.

I feel like a proud papa today. After years of mala trauma, my oldest is going to a Szechuan place (Szechuan Mountain House) with friends, instead of with dad. My job is done here.

3 Likes

No attractive pic here, but the spicy pork “U Wrap” at the just reopened Bang Bar (Momofuku) is just as glorious as before. Albeit, not nearly as cheap as when they first opened, but not nearly as busy.

I am unduly excited about the reopening of Bang Bar – mostly because it’s closer than Kati Roll and scratches the same itch.

Can’t decide if the crust on that chicken is calling out to me more or the cilantro rice under the lomo.

my family loves szechuan food but my wife likes to tell them the story that I spidered the old zagat website to determine the highest food to décor ratio.

I felt the same way about my oldest when he organized a queens food tour for his friends!

1 Like

I recently discovered they’re happy to substitute another scoop of fried rice for that very mediocre “salad”. My wife looked at me like I was crazy when I took them up on it and then of the course there was the “I told you so” look as I struggled to finish the first scoop of rice.

my brother married a woman from the Dominican Republic and she sorta turned her nose up at their sweet plantains. Turns out there’s a whole art to cooking them, on a subsequent visit she prepared them for us, I couldn’t tell the difference I guess in the same way she couldn’t tell the difference between tal’s and bagel bobs.

2 Likes

Im so so glad you are liking this. I need to get back too!

1 Like

Softshell crab banh mi at Saigon Social. Really nice sandwich.

9 Likes

that looks great! is it soft shell crab season? I’ve been wanting to head to ny noodletown for their salt-baked crabs…

It is! Aquabest has them in stock. Which is where Saigon Social gets them.

2 Likes