GOOD EATS NYC 2023 (A Blanket Thread)

P.S. I did not mention that my kids and I ate at another alimentari over the T’giving weekend. Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria remains an excellent spot for salumi and other snacks (full meal too). We ended ordering a second (!) selection of 6 different salumis after the first one. In addition, we managed to scarf down fluke seviche, razor clams crudo, and a couple of pastas. Yum to all.

2 Likes

+1 on that.

An odd, but frequent ritual of mine is to order delivery from them of a range of salumi and a bread or two as soon as I am sure that my Amtrak train is definitely going to pull into Penn. (Although, hey, it’s Amtrak, and I was once stuck for 45 minutes in the tunnel, and when we moved again it turned out we’d been 100ft from the platform throughout.) The time it takes for me to get to my Hell’s Kitchen apartment is about the time that it takes for my meats to get to me. No better way to recover from an Amtrak trip, especially if I have some good wine on hand (almost always).

4 Likes

Love their pastas, and that short rib.

That’s the best NYC food order I think I have ever heard about. I always think about “take home” but am usually so full when I leave that I forget it. Agree @Saregama, after the two orders of salumi, we had to forgo the short rib. I had never had the raw fish/clams there, and they were really delicious. We also had a salad I forgot to mention that was also fresh and delish. I have gone to the Roscioli alimentari itself once to shop. It’s a straight shot on the 1 train, and I’ll be back there soon.

2 Likes

I walked in the house and H said, “How much garlic was in that food???” (A lot.)

Le French Diner on Orchard.

6 Likes

Walked by Bites of Xian right as I was wondering what to eat. Ordered a Crispy Burger, which turned out to be a scallion pancake-type pancake without scallions which they slice open to create a pocket, put in a scoop of your chosen meat and flatten to compress. I added some chilli oil.

A very tasty bite. Didn’t have any room for dumplings or noodles or other offerings, but I’ll go back. Looked it up later, and it seems to be a mini chain.

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try this place for a while but don’t understand how one obtains a table?

one of our favorites when we lived on the uws and we still visit before lincoln center events. They used to serve the omakase at the crowded (and now closed) sushi bar, piece by piece, the service was a little rushed but a lot of fun. we always thought it a terrific bargain for the quality of the fish.

I like it more than amura but my wife, who has the better palate, thinks the fish quality very similar.

One arrives when they open at 5:30, or one waits. There’s a counter that I think seats 8 or 10, a couple of deuces, a table for three, and a 4-top. Every seat was taken by 6pm. We were the 4-top.

1 Like

not too bad, I envisioned people lining up around 3:30 a la lucali

No, at 5:30 there was 75% of us and two parties of two waiting. We stressed until our 4th arrived, worried that another party of four would get there first, because they don’t seat incomplete tables.

I’ve only been to Amura for lunch (many times), maybe I should try it for dinner.

There’s a small family-owned Japanese place in the same neighborhood that’s only open at dinnertime — can’t remember the name right now. Not sushi (though they have it), more home-style stuff iirc. (Maybe you already know it.)

I think you suggested amura to us! we haven’t explored japanese restaurants on the ues but I’ve had a hankering for chicken katsu don, suggestions?

early career, when I was consulting for a japanese bank, they took me out 3-4 nights a week (and then we headed back to the office after dinner!), there was a great chicken/pork katsu joint, probably closed now, still, I’m going to try to dig it out of one of ex-colleagues.

best,

1 Like

Katsu Hama in midtown, if you don’t mind traveling. Used to be a favorite lunch spot when we had the time to step out.

that’s it! walking distance from the old Bear building on Park, can’t believe they’re still open! We ate at a famous katsu restaurant in tokyo, I remember thinking the nuance of katsu must be lost on me because I preferred katsu hama.

At the head of John st there was a tiny takeout called tokyo lunch that had wonderful katsu don but they disappeared many years ago.

1 Like

Is it really a scallion pancake type bun or another laminated dough (like a rough pastry)? I love these rougamo and want to reverse engineer them at home at some point.

Why, my diet’s going very well, thanks for asking.

7 Likes

Baked Cheese Haus?

Ding Ding Ding!

1 Like

There’s a range of what the “bread” is in these types of things.

This one was a Kerala / Malabar parotta (paratha) type, which he split around the seam to fill.

The others I’ve had vary from a thicker version of the same thing to a breadier (yeasted) version with less / no flakiness. I’ve not encountered a puff pastry type.

2 Likes